Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2018 at 7:03 PM Last edited by xlime4 : 2nd Sep 2018 at 7:24 PM. Reason: Addind detail

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game crashes when going on vacation
Before I played the game for the first time, I used the premade templates from here and put them in the game files as the instructions suggested. I also messed around with the graphics rules files to get the game to work with my monitor and graphics card, downloaded some mods to help prevent corruption, followed the instructions here to help with game crashing (which has actually worked except in this specific circumstance) and downloaded custom content from reputable sources. Anyway, my sims were about to go on a honeymoon when during the loading screen, the game crashed. Thinking it was a one time thing, I tried to get them to go on vacation again, but the game crashed again during the loading screen. How do I fix this? Thank you. My sim has a huge interest in travel so I'd love to take her on a vacation, but I can't do that if it crashes

Edit: I forgot to mention that I haven't downloaded the 4GB patch (I have Windows 10) because I have the Ultimate Collection and I wasn't sure how to get the patch working with it. It hasn't affected my gameplay on anything other than vacations, though.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2018 at 11:21 PM
Did you pull your CC and test CC free?

Whenever you have an issue like this make a backup, pull your Download folder to desktop, test. Most times issues will be caused by cc. If it plays fine without CC then you know the issue is in your download folder and you will need to find it. Time for the 50/50 search. if you recently downloaded some things before going to the 50/50 you could try pulling just those. Any creator even good ones can make a crashing piece of content, or sometimes CC can become corrupted.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 11:27 AM Last edited by xlime4 : 3rd Sep 2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Adding detail
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Did you pull your CC and test CC free?

Whenever you have an issue like this make a backup, pull your Download folder to desktop, test. Most times issues will be caused by cc. If it plays fine without CC then you know the issue is in your download folder and you will need to find it. Time for the 50/50 search. if you recently downloaded some things before going to the 50/50 you could try pulling just those. Any creator even good ones can make a crashing piece of content, or sometimes CC can become corrupted.

Okay, so I've done what you asked and the game only seems to crash seldom when going on vacation rather than every time. It doesn't crash when the sim's wearing nothing but default replacements and it doesn't crash when there's no custom content at all. It nearly crashes when my sim's wearing a custom outfit I have and it always crashes when my sim's wearing the custom hairs and makeup. Is it just coincidence that it doesn't crash at certain times? It was pretty consistent before.

Edit: I know it's not always reliable, but it could still be useful. I've checked everything with Delphy's Download Organiser and there doesn't appear to be anything corrupted when I'm using that.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 1:00 PM
So it doesn't crash with your download folder out. A 50/50 is done by halving ing your download folder, testing one side then testing the other. Place the good side someplace safe then test the other half. keep halving and testing the crashing piece until you are left hopefully with one file. it sounds more like you are just trying odd folders. DDO can't test for corrupted CC, nothing can but testing. If you are fairly certain it's in hair and makeup then put everything else to one side and do the 50/50 with that, but you do need to do a 50/50. I know it's a PITB, but we have all done one-two or more of these.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 2:48 PM
So it doesn't crash with your download folder out. A 50/50 is done by halving ing your download folder, testing one side then testing the other. Place the good side someplace safe then test the other half. keep halving and testing the crashing piece until you are left hopefully with one file. it sounds more like you are just trying odd folders. DDO can't test for corrupted CC, nothing can but testing. If you are fairly certain it's in hair and makeup then put everything else to one side and do the 50/50 with that, but you do need to do a 50/50. I know it's a PITB, but we have all done one-two or more of these.

I've just tested again and it does in fact still crash without custom content when going on vacation. It just didn't crash on my first test without custom content. It's very hit and miss as to whether the game crashes or not. Do you think it has something to do with the neighbourhood I downloaded in the original post?
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xlime4
I've just tested again and it does in fact still crash without custom content when going on vacation. It just didn't crash on my first test without custom content. It's very hit and miss as to whether the game crashes or not. Do you think it has something to do with the neighbourhood I downloaded in the original post?

Does it crash no matter what Vacation Destination you choose? Check and see with out a Downloads Folder.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
Does it crash no matter what Vacation Destination you choose? Check and see with out a Downloads Folder.

I've just tested all three destinations without my downloads folder in the game and they all crashed. Perhaps the expansion pack wasn't installed properly?
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 9:57 PM
I've just tested all three destinations without my downloads folder in the game and they all crashed. Perhaps the expansion pack wasn't installed properly?

Yeah that sounds like that could be it. Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling I would make a back up and then remove your "The Sims 2" folder and place on your desktop or something and then run the game and let it recreate everything and then test the vacation locations. If it still crashes then I would try reinstalling if you are using Disks or Using Repair if you are using the UC. If it does not crash then it is something wrong with the Vacation 'hoods themselves.

If it still does not work correctly, then it something else like you need to do the graphics thing or something, but if it doesn't crash otherwise then it should be something wrong with the install I think, it is baffling that is all I can really say.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 6:22 PM
Yeah that sounds like that could be it. Before you go to the trouble of reinstalling I would make a back up and then remove your "The Sims 2" folder and place on your desktop or something and then run the game and let it recreate everything and then test the vacation locations. If it still crashes then I would try reinstalling if you are using Disks or Using Repair if you are using the UC. If it does not crash then it is something wrong with the Vacation 'hoods themselves.

If it still does not work correctly, then it something else like you need to do the graphics thing or something, but if it doesn't crash otherwise then it should be something wrong with the install I think, it is baffling that is all I can really say.

I took the Sims 2 Documents folder, moved it to a safe place and let the game generate a new one. In the fresh game I noticed that the neighbourhoods that came with the expansion packs were not there, though the base game ones were there. It also took a while to load for the first time. However, when I sent my sims on vacation the game did not crash or even come close to it...I'm completely at a loss ^_^"
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 8:31 PM
I took the Sims 2 Documents folder, moved it to a safe place and let the game generate a new one. In the fresh game I noticed that the neighbourhoods that came with the expansion packs were not there, though the base game ones were there. It also took a while to load for the first time. However, when I sent my sims on vacation the game did not crash or even come close to it...I'm completely at a loss ^_^"

This means that there is something that you can't see that is wrong with the Vacation Nieghborhoods or there is something wrong with something in your Downloads folder.

Next step is put your old Downloads folder into the New Sims 2 Folder and then try to take a Sim on Vacation. What happens now?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 11:18 PM
Instead of moving it, rename it; that is safer and quicker.

You had missing neighbourhoods? Try again and only rename it this time. If you again have missing hoods it could be a faulty install. You might need to check your antivirus program as they have been known to interfere with sims 2.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 4:18 PM
Instead of moving it, rename it; that is safer and quicker.

You had missing neighbourhoods? Try again and only rename it this time. If you again have missing hoods it could be a faulty install. You might need to check your antivirus program as they have been known to interfere with sims 2.

I think this is possible. My antivirus, Kaspersky, can be very jumpy at anything that even remotely might be dangerous, even if it's actually harmless. It's caused problems installing other games and doesn't even like Mod the Sims very much. I'll try your suggestions and update on here once I've done that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 4:21 PM
This means that there is something that you can't see that is wrong with the Vacation Nieghborhoods or there is something wrong with something in your Downloads folder.

Next step is put your old Downloads folder into the New Sims 2 Folder and then try to take a Sim on Vacation. What happens now?

It could be, though I'm not sure why a game without a downloads folder would result in missing neighbourhoods. I'll still try your suggestions though and update you.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 5:56 PM
It could be, though I'm not sure why a game without a downloads folder would result in missing neighbourhoods. I'll still try your suggestions though and update you.

@joandsarah77 is right about renaming, it is faster and easier. I just don't do it that way, so I tend to not think of it.

The Missing Neighborhood problem would be your AntiVirus I think that joandsarah77 is right about that too.

Missing program files is not a good thing. I don't know much when it comes to AntiVirus programs as I don't use one on my iMac. Hopefully you will not need to reinstall.

Sounds like that there is something in your Downloads folder that is bad though. You will need to test.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 11:33 PM
I am not familiar with that anti-virus program, but I would try turning it off before you make your new Sims 2 folder and seeing if it has an exception area so it will stop looking at sim files altogether.

While I love my PC, flipping anti-virus programs can be a right pain. Something the iMac totally has over us.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 11:44 AM
@joandsarah77 is right about renaming, it is faster and easier. I just don't do it that way, so I tend to not think of it.

The Missing Neighborhood problem would be your AntiVirus I think that joandsarah77 is right about that too.

Missing program files is not a good thing. I don't know much when it comes to AntiVirus programs as I don't use one on my iMac. Hopefully you will not need to reinstall.

Sounds like that there is something in your Downloads folder that is bad though. You will need to test.

I tested a fresh folder for a third and final time without a downloads folder, and yep, it crashed. Looks like I'll have to reinstall Thank you everyone for your help, though
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 3:08 PM
This is an update in case others have a similar problem.

I've reinstalled the game, but after putting the replacement neighbourhoods from here in, the game crashed while going on vacation. When I kept the original secret neighbourhood from Bon Voyage, I didn't get a single crash even after 3 attempts. It looks like the Bon Voyage replacement secret neighbourhood is bugged. Thanks again everyone for your help, I really appreciate it