Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2019 at 3:43 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default How to make sims use the Subway autonomously?
Hello,
I'm playing in the custom world Al Medina by Zach Bundy for some time. One of the districts isn't accessible by roads, only by a pedestrian path, but it has a subway station which is linked to a station in downtown. However, none of the NPCs use the subway to reach the city, they all walk back and forth the desert path and they are on the road for hours. I checked with player-controlled sims and there is no issue with the subway when it is me who directs them to use it. They just don't use it on their own. I even tried placing some more subway stations around the city to see if they would prefer using it when the stations are in more convenient places but no, they still don't use it. They walk instead, and constantly miss school and work. I downloaded NRAAS Traffic as well but wouldn't find an option to fix it. Does anyone have an idea?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Jul 2019 at 11:30 PM
NPCs and other inactive sims will generally not take the subway until some fancy NRaas Retuner action is performed or a standalone tuning mod is provided that does the same thing. I prefer the Retuner method because it's much more flexible as it gets used in worlds of various sizes and complexity.
http://www.nraas.net/community/Whic...-less-often-522
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jul 2019 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
NPCs and other inactive sims will generally not take the subway until some fancy NRaas Retuner action is performed or a standalone tuning mod is provided that does the same thing. I prefer the Retuner method because it's much more flexible as it gets used in worlds of various sizes and complexity.
http://www.nraas.net/community/Whic...-less-often-522

Thanks Igazor! Getting retuner now.

@Nitromon thank you likewise but that mod is in conflict with NRAAS GoHere, another mod I use in my game.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 7:27 AM
Quick update @igazor, I installed Retuner and followed the steps in the link and set the variable to 200 (100 at first, then 150, then finally 200) but my sims still don't use the Subway and walk the desert path instead! Was there another setting I had to adjust to enable the changes to take place?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Jul 2019 at 11:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PasTaCopine
Quick update @igazor, I installed Retuner and followed the steps in the link and set the variable to 200 (100 at first, then 150, then finally 200) but my sims still don't use the Subway and walk the desert path instead! Was there another setting I had to adjust to enable the changes to take place?

Did you also set kNPCSubwayUseChance to 1 (or something at least higher than 0)? Otherwise the changes you have made will only affect your active sims when you order them to go someplace and not tell them specifically how to get there. You also may need to Save (As), quit, and reload the game to get changes like these to take hold.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 1:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Did you also set kNPCSubwayUseChance to 1 (or something at least higher than 0)? Otherwise the changes you have made will only affect your active sims when you order them to go someplace and not tell them specifically how to get there. You also may need to Save (As), quit, and reload the game to get changes like these to take hold.

Thank you! Will try that next time I play. And what do you suggest setting the kDistanceMustSaveInOrderToUseSubway to? In the link it says:
(default is 15)
If you want sims to use subways more often, even when doing so takes them out of their way and makes their trips longer, use a higher positive value such as 100 or 250.
If you want sims to use subways less often, but when doing so will save at least a little bit of time, use a low negative number such as -50 or -100.
If you want sims to use subways less often, but only when doing so will save a lot of time, use a high negative number such as -1,000 or -3,000.

If I pick something between 100 and 250, will it direct them to use the subway unnecessarily frequently? When they can just drive etc? Should I use a negative instead?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 11:36 PM Last edited by igazor : 31st Jul 2019 at 11:46 PM.
It depends on what you want and how much or little vehicle vs. subway traffic you wish to see within the world. How realistic things seem will then also depend on the overall size of the world, how extensive its subway network is, and how many locations within the world that sims will be traveling to/from/nearby actually have stations in place. As an extreme example, if you have a total of four subway stations in a medium to large sized world, but set the kDistance to a very high positive number, sims will do everything they can to use the subways on each in-world journey even if doing so doesn't actually help get them to their destinations any more efficiently.

Perhaps you might want to start with a positive value like 100 or 250, but with the kNPCSubwayUseChance to 1 or at least something that is not 0, see what happens for a couple of sim days, and then adjust accordingly in either direction?