Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Helptato
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 1:36 AM
Default 125 Huckleberry Lane makeover
Hey! So I just found, sitting in my Riverblossom Hills a makeover I did of the Maxis lot 125 Huckleberry Lane and I thought I would post some pics here to see if anyone has any thoughts on if they like it and anything I could add to improve it before I upload the lot

Here's the front.

And some floorplans:

And finally, a shot of the garden:

It costs 60,996 which is quite a lot of money but I keep paring back the furniture so I'm not sure how I could get it any cheaper. I want it to have the basic furniture so Sims don't need more stuff to start out with.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Screenshots

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 2:06 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 23rd Feb 2018 at 2:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sparklypotato
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Looks pretty nice to me, overall.
I see three things that perhaps could be changed or improved.

On the exterior, I would question the stone wall covering around the bay windows. Even assuming that it's supposed to be faux stone, it doesn't make much sense, since faux stone is supposed to mimic real stonework, and in real-life stonework cannot sit atop siding, let alone float in mid-air with no support below it at all, such as with these bay windows.
You ought to consider using that stone wall covering for the foundation all around the house, but definitely not around the bay windows.

On the interior, I'm not sure I'd like the kitchen island layout. It seems that kitchen stools cannot be placed adequately the way it is, although maybe there aren't supposed to be any at all. I dunno, it's not that big a deal.

Upstairs, I see those two unused squares near the staircase and bathroom, one square behind the toilet, the other behind the sink. Both of those squares should be made part of the bathroom. The resulting two-square space could be used two different ways - either for a walk-in shower, or for the bathtub, with the space where the bathtub is now becoming a small closet for the bedroom. Either way, those two squares should definitely become part of the bathroom.

Edit: The upstairs hallway could also use a window.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 11:35 PM
I like the layout of the house. I'm not sure you need two bathrooms downstairs. I would remove one of the bathrooms and make the remaining one accessible for all rather than en suite. I agree with ScaryRob's comments too Nice house, btw

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Helptato
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 12:20 AM
The reason why I have a second bathroom downstairs is so Sims in the bedroom don't need to trail back out though the hallway and living room to use the loo, and likewise for Sims in public areas of the house so they don't need to go through the bedrooms. More for practicality because I find it much easier if I have a easily accessed toilet in the same level as my Sims do stuff!

What do you suggest I change the bay windows wall covering to, ScaryRob?

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Theorist
#5 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sparklypotato
What do you suggest I change the bay windows wall covering to, ScaryRob?

Just the same siding as the rest of the bottom half of the house, with the stone wall covering on the foundation all around the house. See what that looks like.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 7:14 AM
If you want a contrast, try out different colors of the same siding or one with a contrasting texture. A little dab of color wouldn't do that house any harm...

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 11:42 AM
Or maybe put the stone 'bricks' on the foundation and then the ones round the windows have a reason to be standing up there without collapsing.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#8 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 2:31 PM
There isn't any reason stones can't be on a cantilever, though.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 24th Feb 2018 at 2:42 PM
I think it's very pretty as is, and is quite functional.

You could remove some walls in the entry way so that the living/dining/entry are all open, this would decrease the cost a bit. The island looks lovely, but if you remove it the cost would decrease.