Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 8:34 AM Last edited by Thefox18 : 11th May 2009 at 4:53 AM.
house acceptable ?
i think this house is acceptable and i just want to know because i have a upload restriction and i want to start uploading again.

It has 2 bedrooms,1 bathroom,1 living & dinning area,driveway & space for a garage,space for expanding the house if needed more room.

https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...08_37060146.jpg

and if you can think of same name's for the house that will be great
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 8:39 AM Last edited by aeowyn22 : 30th Apr 2009 at 9:26 AM.
Yay for pictures!

Uhh. I think the siding like 1 tile white 2 tiles brown 1 white etc is not good, along the side. Needs work. Looks much too random and doesnt look appealing at all.
The dining table with 4 different colours is a little strange.
Also, maybe change the weeds along the side of the driveway to some nice looking plants.

I love the living room.

edit; in this pic you can delete the little bits of wall that are sticking out from the roof, with the ctrl wall tool thingy. It will be fine.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 9:22 AM
The house's overall very interesting, but still needs some work. I think aeowyn pretty much nailed it and agree with her input.

There seems to be some roof overlaps that don't look good, pic 4. Making the roof connecting with the flat roof steeper would probably do the trick but then it ruins your overall scheme, so you have to think about a good workaround for that.
Also something weird going on in the 5th pic. You may have to delete that roof and place it again to have those roof walls down on the other side go away.

There's a lot of unused space inside, which could be used better. You could easily fit in one small bathroom with just toilet and sink somewhere. That always makes a house more playable.
Is the large empty room intended as a garage? If so make it that or use it for something else.
Lastly, it looks like the table in one of the rooms may block the door. Just remember to check things like that before uploading.

for more of my lots check out my blog: smmishing.wordpress.com/
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 4:15 PM
The house is interesting and so has promise, but needs work.

As is mentioned above, the way the exterior siding changes from one type to another looks random and unpleasant. You want to change exterior types to emphasise a particular feature--such as an entryway or room extension or transition to roof area. With this house, one might do the front wall or upper story or some similar feature as a separate exterior type, but not stripes of changes.

Have you playtested all that stuff on diagonals to see if it works. If so, say so in the post (and what expansions it was tested with). If it does not work, change or reduce the diagonal features so they do not impact gameplay.

The bedrooms etc should be furnished--perhaps with some variation in color schemes--unless you are trying to stay under $20000 for a starter house.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 6:18 PM
I love your living room...it's so elegant but it doesn't seem to match the exterior.

Your house is very modern in the interior decoration but the exterior seems like somebody started it in the 60's and then just kept adding little bits to it.

There's also a piece of the roof that is driving me nuts on image 4. Can you maybe change the roof angle to hid the jutting out piece?

I also agree that if you furnish the rest of the house, it will look much better because we'll be able to see your vision for the house.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#6 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 7:37 PM
Placing multitile objects diagonally results in brokenness. Never do it. Only objects that consist of a single green tile may be placed diagonally. From a playability standpoint, I give this house a D+.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zombie Socks
#7 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 7:49 PM
TV's don't work at an angle, but most other objects (like chairs) do.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Apr 2009 at 10:47 PM
TVs do work at an angle, but there's only one seat facing the one in the living room so that's a bit of a waste of time. As Pescado said, too many things placed on angles makes for awkward gameplay so you should rethink your layout - including all those diagonally placed ceiling lamps.

The bedrooms should really be furnished with beds and not solitary TVs.

I like the shape of the exterior but I agree about the stripes of siding - it doesn't work. Keeping to just two different textures would look better. I would suggest changing all the taupe coloured siding to white.

As aeowyn said, delete the little wall spurs in the same way that you delete any wall, and if you take down the half wall on top of the diagonal section you will remedy the clash with the other roofs.

The pond weeds along the drive are dull on their own - maybe intersperse them with some flowers and/or shrubs.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 1st May 2009 at 2:44 AM
This may surprise you but I kinda like it. I like the effect of the wood ceiling. Diagonals are nice if they work. Not too wild about the windows. Those thin long ones might look nice.
The roof needs fixing but you know that. I like the look with the siding. This house has good potential. I think youve been practicing.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st May 2009 at 4:53 AM
Default i made most of the changes
i did most of what you's said and here's the final finish:

made the top floor into a workshop: The tv does work: https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...83_170722ae.jpg But i did not know how to get rid of them roof thingys:
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st May 2009 at 4:57 AM
just delete them like you would a normal wall. At the ends you'll need to replace them with half-walls to fill the hole though. the other ones in the middle should delete just fine, though.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st May 2009 at 7:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rapsheba555
just delete them like you would a normal wall. At the ends you'll need to replace them with half-walls to fill the hole though. the other ones in the middle should delete just fine, though.
i did that but i likes out of place: so, is there a other way to do it
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st May 2009 at 7:30 AM
Half-walls hardly ever fit underneath a slope. You could try making the roof steeper and see if you can get the wall to fit that way (a small hole will probably remain, but that's not very visible underneath the overhang). Or use an actual wall and flatten/slope it (see the various split-level tutorials on the wiki).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 1st May 2009 at 12:27 PM
It's looking a lot better! I love the planting by the drive now. I'm not sure how to fix litle wall spurs if they don't just delete cleanly - I thought they would, sorry.

I can see a Simtrap between the pool table and the sofa. Have you tried swapping the chair and the sofa round - that way you can have more than one seat in front of the TV too.

I think perhaps long windows would look better on the front, bewteen the door and the garage, rather than the horizontal ones you have there.
Instructor
#15 Old 1st May 2009 at 1:21 PM
I see you still havent changed the sliding as everyone would prefer you to, that would be a good idea to do that now
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd May 2009 at 2:30 AM
made the changes:
Screenshots
Zombie Socks
#17 Old 2nd May 2009 at 3:07 AM
Wow! Excellent!

The issue with the outside walls still persist. Although it's a modern house, the outside wallpaper looks cheap rather than modern.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd May 2009 at 9:27 AM
Much better! I really like your sofa and chairs, btw.

You just need to fix the outside wallpaper now, and you'll have a fabulous modern house. I like the colours of your outside, and I like the bricks, but the strips of different coloured siding are too busy and basically incoherent. I have houses down my street, and my own house, that have brick and one colour siding (mainly white) - all built in the 1960's.

This is a house I built recently, to give you an example of how using just 2 different colours/textures (black siding and white stucco) is more stylish and has more impact.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/...82_36e42dca.jpg
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#19 Old 2nd May 2009 at 11:42 AM
Diagonally placed multitile objects do not function correctly, and will cause horrible clipping and footprint issues. Don't place a multitile object diagonally. For instance, the armchairs work diagonally, the sofa will misbehave.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Zombie Socks
#20 Old 2nd May 2009 at 4:14 PM
Hmmm... Since everyone seems to have different ideas on what works diagonally (I'm almost positive diagonal TV's don't work) I think it would be best if you just created a clone of this house and playtested it. Playtesting is usually a very good idea anyway.

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 2nd May 2009 at 4:20 PM Last edited by TaxWench : 2nd May 2009 at 6:52 PM.
A diagonal TV will work so long as you have seating placed diagonally oposite it. Diagonally placed sofas do produce some crazy animations, though!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 3rd May 2009 at 3:23 AM
Default different colours
so i made some different colours for the house,let me know which one you like the best:
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#23 Old 3rd May 2009 at 3:47 AM
Hmmm, in all honesty, I liked the tan look better, but minus the white siding.

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Instructor
#24 Old 3rd May 2009 at 5:57 AM
Def. the first one
But the tan looked better, Raps is right.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#25 Old 3rd May 2009 at 7:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whitewaterwood
Hmmm... Since everyone seems to have different ideas on what works diagonally (I'm almost positive diagonal TV's don't work)
Diagonal TVs can work, but only single-tile ones (See "multitile objects cannot be diagonal, period"). Sims will need to sit in opposingly diagonal seats to view the TV, which falls into the above caveat again, unless you use only single-tile seating, but the TV will work, at very least, for the player to watch.

Locked thread | Locked by: justJones Reason: do not delete-useful info
Page 1 of 2