Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 6:19 PM
Default Would this get a download?
Hi all, me again.

Let me expand on the title.

My latest house (for me), which I was playtesting, was working out really well, so I wondered if it would be worth uploading, but there's a massive amount of custom content in it (all allowable) but do people download with lots of CC??.. it's bad enough, I know that I use all packs in the first place, and I would have to remove and replace all the paintings, because they are my set based on Boris Vallejo work, which I don't have copyright to and are not very "Simmish".

So heres a few photos to let you see what I am talking about. House is a 2 bed 1 bath, but designed for the gardener. Theres a greenhouse, small orchard, pond, formal garden and general landscaping with every plant accessable for being trimmed and tended.

Also lots of terrain painting and use of dividers to seperate areas. Greenhouse is fully equipped with heaters and sprinklers for the winter.

It's on a 2x4 plot and comes fully equipped, and I mean fully equiped, even down to a car. All furniture is high quality. It comes at a cost though, base price is 200,000 Simoleons.

The workload to maintain the garden is huge especially in the fall when those trees shed, but they are needed for compost

However a first inspection by the garden club gave it a couple of thousand simoleons. Also like my previous house.. no bills, solar panels credit you back around 800 simoleons a week.

Really needs a couple to maintain it though.

So is it worth uploading, or should I just hang onto it for my own use as it's unlikely anyone would download it?

Outside 1 :-

Outside 2 (Right Side):-

Outside 3 (Back):-

Ground Floor Plan :-

First Floor Plan :-

Regards to all

Graham
Advertisement
Zombie Socks
#2 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 6:35 PM
It's actually very nice! There's just a few elements that conflict with the eco-friendly style. The marble busts in the garden and white iron fences just don't seem to match the rest of the style of the house. The rest looks quite lovely, though! You might want to take out some of the CC on the inside though and and replace it with maxis, because you're right, too much CC does tend to turn away downloaders.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Theorist
#3 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 7:11 PM
I looked at the outside of that house and just went wow. I love it, and I'd totally download it. The driveway/garage area is really really nice, and a great accent feature for the front.
Could you take floorplans that just centre on the house, rather than the whole lot? I'm finding it hard to see details sometimes. I can already see that some of your rugs are off centre. And that's irritating we a little. If they're in the centre of the area/room, then they just look... better imo.
On the ground floor, in the living room area with the sofa and the TV, you should add another sofa to the right from where the picture is taken. It just looks a little empty, and there's no budget so why not? And then add a rug. You have Ikea stuff, so maybe the 2x2 multi-coloured rug? It'll be an accent piece of the area, if everything else is blue, white and black.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#4 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 10:23 PM
You're question can be very subjective. The way I deal with that problem is I ask myself if the CC I'm using is really needed? Does it add to the integrity and idea/design to the lot or is it just something I want? If it's something I want it can go. If the lot would be less without it then I keep it. But, it's not an easy question to ask and answer yourself if you're like me. I love my CC =)

I do agree with what is said above, mainly, about the photos. It's hard to see any detail in the house from the plan views you have. But, the fencing I don't think really works with a lot of this character. You have a quaint, charming lot. The iron fence says strong and estately. I think it would look much better with the Maxis white picket fencing.

As far as other ideas... the fountain in back really doesn't do anything. I'd replace it and add some benches. That would help add to the "quaintness" of the lot. Also, with the garden statue... I'd stay away from "luxury" and go more toward "quaint"- maybe a nice tall fountain instead?

I would also definitely use the "allow45degree" cheat and rotate your plants, trees and shrubs so you don't get the "pattern" look you have right now, especially noticeable with the orchard trees. You don't have to worry about the tall box shrubs though. They're so close together you really wouldn't be able to tell. But I would think about placing one with the "moveobjects" and "snapobjectstogrid" cheats and angle one at 45 degrees in the two corners.

If you're still concerned about the CC thing you can take a lot of it out and just gut the place with the version you upload- remove all objects/furniture and furniture recolors and keep only decorative and build mode CC. But, there are some lots on this site that have gross amounts of CC and they're featured and Top picked, but again... IMO the CC used adds to the integrity of the lot so it works and thus needed.

And (lots of ands here- last one, promise) if you're worried about how much trouble the gardening upkeep can be you can link to a few hacks, all at MATY that allow "perfect gardens", "perfect plants" and one that allows the gardener to come every day =)
Locked thread | Locked by: lidiqnata Reason: useful last comment