Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 1:43 PM
Default 70s House
I decided to put my Gypsy sim on hold for a bit, until I can think of new ideas for her face, or I get some feedback on her.

I'm making my first ever lot (I've only ever tried making Sims up until now) and it's a residential 20k+ lot.
It's supposed to have a look that suggests it's been lived in, but not been updated since the 1970s, even though the house is much older than that. I have lots of 70s clothes, so I was sort of making it for that sort of purpose.
Before you ask, I really like decorations. xD Especially rugs, plants and gaudy statues. :B

If you want any more pictures, I've still got the game on. :D

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 1:53 PM
Wow, its so cute! I love the rumpus room and how all the furniture is mismatchy! I just adore mismatchy things! Just a question, is that llama game in the kitchen/main room intentional? I dont think they can eat off it. Although in my game they eat off the poker table
Another question, is that thing betwee nthe recliners and the bar a rug? Sorry, its just that its top down view and I'm curious

Also, although it looks nice from outside, you should remove the window going into the girls' bedroom's closet. I dont think its a good look from outside, apart from how the windows are symmetrical, but a warbrobe of clothes is.. I dunno, not for a window to see into. I also noticed the master wardrobe has a window too. I'm probably not of much help as I do not know a single thing about the 70s! I was born in the 90s and I just have noo idea what its about. Isnt it like afros/discos/peace signs/hippies/flared pants? I have no clue do I?

ONE LAST THING! The two windows either side of the front door are different colours & an odd height in comparison to the short door.

EDIT: I also really love your garage tyre marks with the terrain paints! It looks so realisitic :D
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 1:55 PM
ohhh, this has real character! the only thing I see atm is that the windows on either side of the door look weird. could you try different ones?

Edit: you know, this reminds me vaguely of the "bewitched" house. :D

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 2:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeowyn22
Wow, its so cute! I love the rumpus room and how all the furniture is mismatchy! I just adore mismatchy things! Just a question, is that llama game in the kitchen/main room intentional? I dont think they can eat off it. Although in my game they eat off the poker table
Another question, is that thing betwee nthe recliners and the bar a rug? Sorry, its just that its top down view and I'm curious

Also, although it looks nice from outside, you should remove the window going into the girls' bedroom's closet. I dont think its a good look from outside, apart from how the windows are symmetrical, but a warbrobe of clothes is.. I dunno, not for a window to see into. I also noticed the master wardrobe has a window too. I'm probably not of much help as I do not know a single thing about the 70s! I was born in the 90s and I just have noo idea what its about. Isnt it like afros/discos/peace signs/hippies/flared pants? I have no clue do I?

ONE LAST THING! The two windows either side of the front door are different colours!

EDIT: I also really love your garage tyre marks with the terrain paints! It looks so realisitic :D

The game is just a game. They're going to eat around the dining table in the bay window. [:
And yeah, that is a rug outside...
Yeah, I suppose that window show go. But my symmetrical windows! D':
And hey, I was born in the 90s too. But this build is sort of based on my rl house. It's not the same, but my house is really really 70s. :B It's where I got most of my ideas from. And the way my Grandma's house used to be decorated when I was really little. My mum says the 70s was a time when nothing matched, there was no style, everything was busy and they were sci-fi crazy. Then she said that not much has changed.
And the windows aren't different colours. I just forgot to turn shadows off. It just looks darker. If you look at the ones upstairs, they look different colours aswell.
I love drawing tyre marks for placing my cars. It's helpful when I'm too lazy to build a garage. The trick is to place a car and just draw up to where the tyres go. Because all the car tyres go in the same place, no matter where the front of the bonnet comes to.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 2:12 PM
I've figured out a way to hide the fact that there's a window in a cupboard, without ruining my symmetrical windows. :D
I added net curtains. Why didn't I think of it before? It's kind of obvious when you think of the 70s decor styles. Now you can't look in the windows. Privacy is fun.

But I am worried about this:

My blatant lack of care about landscaping. To be honest, landscaping isn't my best point. D:
Ideas garden-wise?

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#6 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 2:21 PM
I am horrendous at gardens! If I'm not planning on upload I just stick a tree and a shrub here and voila!
Here are some ideas though
-Terrainpaints go a long way, I usually put the really green one lightly all over then the splotchy, lightly-spotted one over the top, then the one with dakrer bits in it. It turns out nicely, see that house I'm building atm.
-Trees all over. But just a hint, dont use like one of each type of tree thats what some people do and imo it looks a bit odd. I think you should do more bay trees and then maybe some oleanders.
-If you arent doing all bay trees, Shrubby Shrubs!!

P.S. What EPs/SPs does this require?
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 2:27 PM
I am horrendous at gardens! If I'm not planning on upload I just stick a tree and a shrub here and voila!
Here are some ideas though
-Terrainpaints go a long way, I usually put the really green one lightly all over then the splotchy, lightly-spotted one over the top, then the one with dakrer bits in it. It turns out nicely, see that house I'm building atm.
-Trees all over. But just a hint, dont use like one of each type of tree thats what some people do and imo it looks a bit odd. I think you should do more bay trees and then maybe some oleanders.
-If you arent doing all bay trees, Shrubby Shrubs!!

P.S. What EPs/SPs does this require?

Well...
There's AL for the closets and the bed and all that stuff...
There's Family Fun Stuff for the kid's room...
There's Seasons for the bathroom...
There's Kitchen & Bath Stuff for the kitchen...
Free Time for the game...
Celebrations for the random bar balloons...
Nightlife for the bar...
God knows which EP the turntable comes from...
When I've finished landscaping, there'll most likely be some Mansion & Garden Stuff in there...
And then there's all the paintings and decorations and stuff. And they come from just about everywhere.
So, let's stay safe and say all of them, which is what I own. xD

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#8 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 2:33 PM Last edited by aeowyn22 : 12th Apr 2009 at 2:34 PM. Reason: i cannot spell when i'm typing with one hand cause im eating an apple O_o
You have to mark every single game you had installed when building it/that you packaged the sims2pack file from. Aww I cant get it its got celebrations!! lol

Here are some landscaping tutorials that can help you
Ive only read a few of them but the rest look good

http://tinyurl.com/cytc3c
http://tinyurl.com/cv6qj7
http://tinyurl.com/cjg6e2
http://tinyurl.com/c65nym

Had to make them tiny, damned sims 2 exchange 216 letter URLs!
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 2:48 PM
I landscaped my lot. It's not the best garden ever. xD

Opinions on the lake? I don't really like it. At all. D:

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 2:51 PM
You have to mark every single game you had installed when building it/that you packaged the sims2pack file from. Aww I cant get it its got celebrations!! lol

Here are some landscaping tutorials that can help you
Ive only read a few of them but the rest look good

http://tinyurl.com/cytc3c
http://tinyurl.com/cv6qj7
http://tinyurl.com/cjg6e2
http://tinyurl.com/c65nym

Had to make them tiny, damned sims 2 exchange 216 letter URLs!

You haven't got celebrations? DDD:
That's a great stuff pack, man. Partiessss.
I only put the balloons there because it's common knowledge that the 70s is the home of the dinner party. And you can't have a good dinner party without excessive alcohol, that's been glamourised.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#11 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 2:55 PM
Hehe, its nice, really nice.
You should rotate the weed things around it more and add terrainpaints around it.

P.S. I dont get your siggie O_o
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 3:09 PM
Hehe, its nice, really nice.
You should rotate the weed things around it more and add terrainpaints around it.

P.S. I dont get your siggie O_o

Weirdly, I was thinking about someone asking that just a miute ago.
I swear, I am actually psychic sometimes. But that's another story.

ANYWAY, the best ever Sim I ever made was called Eliza Toblerone and I played her until the day she died. She had a huge family and some pets and a beautiful mansion and a swimming pool and a garden and everything. But then that computer broke and I'm still mourning her loss. D:
I tried to remake her, but I failed.
And Toblerone's are a type of chocolate. So now I try and name almost all of my Sims after them, for the sheer fun of it. The Cadburys are by far my favourite chocolate family. They own a cake shop.

And now I'm going to fiddle with that pond, and use all those handy little tutorials you posted to my advantage.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 3:16 PM
I like the rugs inside the house, but i think that the rug in the garden looks a bit strange... :P

Also like aeowyn22 said, terrain paints help a lot - if you want the house to look lived in, terrain paints can be used to achieve this. Think about the places where sims would walk most often and how the ground looks like under trees. Put soil under the flowerbed and make some spill out of the sides a bit to make it look more realistic.

I also think that you could probably do more landscaping if the garden is larger - there is a lot of space around the garden that you've got at the moment. I always find gardens hard to do but you could try and think of other garden activities and expand the garden to fit them - since you have a kid's room maybe put swings or something.

I hope this is helpful
Theorist
Original Poster
#14 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hodsh1
I like the rugs inside the house, but i think that the rug in the garden looks a bit strange... :P

Also like aeowyn22 said, terrain paints help a lot - if you want the house to look lived in, terrain paints can be used to achieve this. Think about the places where sims would walk most often and how the ground looks like under trees. Put soil under the flowerbed and make some spill out of the sides a bit to make it look more realistic.

I also think that you could probably do more landscaping if the garden is larger - there is a lot of space around the garden that you've got at the moment. I always find gardens hard to do but you could try and think of other garden activities and expand the garden to fit them - since you have a kid's room maybe put swings or something.

I hope this is helpful

Well, this is my garden so far:

I've been trying to use terrain paints, but I dunno if they look alright.
And I might put in other playground things. Seeing as it already needs AL already...

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Typical
#15 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 3:31 PM
Maybe you could use the groovy floors and chairs that came with uni (finally a use for that ep).
Theorist
Original Poster
#16 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Maybe you could use the groovy floors and chairs that came with uni (finally a use for that ep).

Actually, I don't think I've used Uni yet. :D
But the groovy stuff looks really modern. And I greatly dislike it, unless I'm building a disco-nightclub-DJ place thing.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Theorist
Original Poster
#17 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 3:54 PM
Latest on the garden
I think it's done. It has shrubs, a flowerbed, a mix-match Maple tree, a breadfruit tree, a willow tree and a children's playground. The playground is brand spanking new and is accesible through the bar/reclining patio area bit or you can just walk around the front.

(see above pictures for the rest of the garden [:)

Any more suggestions about the garden, or is that it for my new-found landscaping skills? x]

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#18 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 3:55 PM
Modern? Its 70s to me, but thats just my opinion. [the uni furniture]

IMO, the sunflowers+hedges, I dislike. But thats just because I really hate the hedges. Can you see what just sunflowers looks like, with maybe a few shrubs in place of the hedges or some flowerbed flowers?

Cute playground, that pic is really high quality and sharp :o -jealous-
Typical
#19 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 3:59 PM
Theorist
Original Poster
#20 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 4:00 PM
Modern? Its 70s to me, but thats just my opinion.

IMO, the sunflowers+hedges, I dislike. But thats just because I really hate the hedges. Can you see what just sunflowers looks like, with maybe a few shrubs in place of the hedges or some flowerbed flowers?

I tried that when I originally placed the sunflowers, but the stalks look really ugly and weird if there isn't anything under them that hides them. And the hedges are the only things that do the job well.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Theorist
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 4:02 PM
Cute playground, that pic is really high quality and sharp :o -jealous-

/has Vista

EDIT:
It might be because it's a .png file aswell.
When people photoshop pictures, they always ask for .png files, because they don't blur as much as .jpg, which is what most people use. However, .png uses loads of space, about 2 or 3 times as much as .jpg.

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#22 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 4:14 PM Last edited by aeowyn22 : 12th Apr 2009 at 4:22 PM. Reason: I fail at hyperlinking
/has Vista also O_o

Ahh rite! I tend to go on pages then go on other tabs then come back and reply only to find there are posts between when I clicked and replied so it can be a bit off. I shall refresh in future!
Even when I save as PNG they arent that good!

Ahk, about the sunflowers, thats cool but if you want, you can copy what I did with mine on my house here and here.
Theorist
Original Poster
#23 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 4:17 PM
/has Vista also O_o

Oh, idk then.
My GIMP is better than yours? :B

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Theorist
Original Poster
#24 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 4:19 PM
Does anyone see anything bad about the interior of the house, as posted in the OP?

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Instructor
#25 Old 12th Apr 2009 at 4:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zinthos
Oh, idk then.
My GIMP is better than yours? :B

Am I the only one who heard
'...My GIMP brings all the boys to the yard, and they're like, better than yours...'
in their head?

I thought so

Anywhoooo, the interior is vn, amazing for a first house [whats with all these people skipping the ugly-box stage? I was in that stage for about a year!] the onlyyy thing I would change, is the rug as hodsh1 said, if you havent already done that!

This will get accepted I'm 100% sure! Its awesome ;D
Locked thread | Locked by: lidiqnata Reason: some useful tips
Page 1 of 5