Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 4:42 PM
Default Rejection of Gift Box Grange - Please Help
Hi
My residential creation 'Gift Box Grange' was recently rejected for being too 'boxy'.
The thing is the whole point of my design is that it is designed like gift boxes. I thought I changed it enough so that it was unique, fun and different.
I got so frustrated when this was rejected because I just don't know how to change the design to acceptance level without chaging the whole base of the idea.
Please could you help me with some suggestions?
Thank you.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Zombie Socks
#2 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 4:50 PM
I think the main problem is that they don't look enough like gift boxes. For examplem it would be better if you could put something that looks like a bow on the top of each one and took off the odd modern roof. It is a creative idea, though!

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 4:53 PM
You're right, it's very original... I like it a lot... mmmm... something you could add are some bows like these:
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=207056

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Zombie Socks
#4 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 5:25 PM
I meant a big bow on the top, like most presents do.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 5:31 PM
you can use the holes (windows and doors) to make a stamping in the walls (papers).a regular rhythm .
Instructor
#6 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 7:19 PM
Maybe you could use the stage foundation in a star-shaped pattern to make a bow on the roofs. And I would suggest Numenor's invisible wall windows rather than normal windows. How about patterned wall paper? Most gift wrap is patterned. That would also make more contrast between your 'paper' and your 'ribbon'. You might make your own custom wallpapers for it.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 12:00 AM
This is really cute idea! make some wallpaper with bows on it.
Test Subject
#8 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 12:09 AM
Maybe a gift tag?
Other than that I love it. Very Creative
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 12:00 AM
I had an idea... Well, you could find a really big plant somewhere (can't find any, at the moment) maybe even one from the base game, and recouler it, so it looks like a bow? It's just an idea, it may not work... I'll take a look around for some big plants.

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 3:14 AM
You've got some really great suggestions so far, and I agree with them But I also think they might look a little better integrated into the landscape some? So they don't look so "plopped" and look more purposeful and deliberate instead. I hope you can get these approved, it's an awesome idea!

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” George Bernard Shaw

My creations
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 3:23 AM
Ohhhh I thought about something. My sister uses Corel and it has a picture tube where you can put bows and all kinds of things. Do you have it?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#12 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 3:30 AM
The lot seems much too large for the design, and the boxes themselves seem huge. Maybe try a smaller lot. The idea is cute, but the house and lot seem very unfinished and yes, boxy. Having only one window on a wall is also very unrealistic and it will be very dark inside. Think more of an actual house that someone would repaint to give the impression of gift boxes.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 27th Mar 2009 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
The lot seems much too large for the design, and the boxes themselves seem huge. Maybe try a smaller lot. The idea is cute, but the house and lot seem very unfinished and yes, boxy. Having only one window on a wall is also very unrealistic and it will be very dark inside. Think more of an actual house that someone would repaint to give the impression of gift boxes.
I agree that the lot is too big. But, on some other points, I disagree. The point, is to make a house that is actually supposed to be a gift box, not a house that has been repainted to give the impression of a gift box. So I think that you should remove all windows. Then, in the interior, just put a whole bunch of lights. Then for the exterior doors, you could use some of those invisible doors I've seen around. Also, the idea of using stages to make bows on the top is a great idea. This way, it's a gift box on the outside and a house in the inside.
Scholar
#14 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 1:13 AM
i think you could also try making one or 2 look like they have lids by making a stage on top 1 square further out a half square would be best but unfortunately i dont think you can do that (if you dont get what i mean google gift box and look at the pics liek the first couple all have lids) it may or may not look good but if it does it will halp add some detail, also many have a different lid color that complements a patterned box again if it works more inetersting
hope it was soem help to you

check out my uploads here updated May 15, 2008
Test Subject
#15 Old 29th Mar 2009 at 3:25 AM Last edited by bear819 : 29th Mar 2009 at 3:26 AM. Reason: Rephased to make clearer
I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said. But also, about landscaping - the boxes do look much too "plopped". Try a custom terrain paint or some other little thing to make it look like you've put a bit of effort into the landscaping. If you don't want the landscaping and accessories to make it look like a normal house that uses flowers, plants, and the like, you could try integrating the boxes more into the landscape - maybe add a couple of small boxes, purely for decorative purposes (foundation height, or maybe you could make the foundation taller in a few places by raising the terrain, placing the foundation, and then lowering it again). You could make a whole atmosphere; think about where you would find gift boxes, and then add a few suggestions of that environment. You could add a carpet or some patterned tile to make the impression of a Christmas tree skirt, or even make it look like the North Pole with pine trees, a terrain paint that looks like snow, etc.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th Mar 2009 at 10:04 AM Last edited by Guardgian : 30th Mar 2009 at 10:31 AM.
I would suggest the same than bear819. I think you could put yout house or on different basement levels or on different terrain levels, this would make your gift boxes less boxy.

Yes perhaps some patterned wall papers to figure the gifts papers would be a great idea and give some highlights to your facing.

You could use the game slides to figure the bows on the top of the boxes (placed with the "MoveObjects on" and the "boolProp snapObjectToGrid false" cheats to place them in a way that would look like a bow.

I would also remove the fence on the taller box and put a complete flat roofing on the hexagonal one, as gift boxes are flat on tops.

For the fencing walls I would suggest you use some striped wallpapers. They are some beautiful ones here in MTS2, for example : the striped walls (and others by Teberus448 at http://www.modthesims2.com/member.php?u=191504, or the Aluminium set by Aucaria at http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=311153, or the walls of my Sweet Dreams set http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=319931.

I hope this will help

Good luck
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Mar 2009 at 12:24 PM
Wow! I tried making a gift box house agess ago, I've put a link to it below. You should definitely try putting some sort of bow on at least one of them, whatever you do it will probably look better than my bow anyway :p

http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/...iftboxhouse.jpg
Mad Poster
#18 Old 30th Mar 2009 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hodsh1
Wow! I tried making a gift box house agess ago, I've put a link to it below. You should definitely try putting some sort of bow on at least one of them, whatever you do it will probably look better than my bow anyway :p

http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/...iftboxhouse.jpg

Hey your bow is great ! I would have never thought of it ! Great idea !
Locked thread | Locked by: lidiqnata Reason: useful last comment