Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Mar 2009 at 11:52 AM Last edited by roshimitzu : 23rd Mar 2009 at 4:14 AM.
Default Face Replacements *rejected* Needs Help
HellO!! This is my first official time doing some serious "Modding" I think thats what you might sort of call this
Anyway Im making a whole set of Face REplacements!!

I have only done 6 so far...and its doing my head it...and I have to fix the male version of face number 4 coz he is UGLY but here are the first 6.

I hope they are sorta diverse enough...What kind of features should i mix into these simmies??

Opinons are hugely appreciated:D
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 19th Mar 2009 at 1:53 PM
Wow, these faces are very unique! It seems like you put a lot of time and effort into them. I especially like the cheek and jaw bone structure of the last one. Oh, and #5's so extremely freaking cute <3 It's my favourite.
But I think you should put even more time and effort into #3 and 4, as they look basically the same, only with a few tweaks here and there. Also pay special attention to the noses; #1-3 look very similar, so do #5 and 6.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Mar 2009 at 2:59 PM
Please give pictures without cc and all with the same (or no) hair. That will make comparison a lot easier.

Check out Omicron-Simtauri, my new space project!

Newest creation on my Livejournal: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
Looking for an Underground Station? thread on GoS
Grungy cars! thread on GoS latest: VW Type 2 Two-Tones
Inventor
#4 Old 19th Mar 2009 at 6:34 PM
Agreed - use either an extremely short, or pulled back hairstyle, something that won't detract from the bone structure, and use the maxis skins for your pictures, so we can see how they look without extra stuff - no cosmetics, etc.

They look promising, and I know how much of a pain making default faces can be - and I only made replacements for the ugliest faces.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 1:34 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful advice..I took or the make up off and put a maxis hair tied back.

This is the result.... Let me know what you think....I do need some different noses
Zombie Socks
#6 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 2:00 AM
It would be more useful if we could see photos with maxis skin. If you only have defaults, you can download the maxis skins on this website.

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 2:11 AM
AHH Sorry!! I am downloading maxis skin now and willl do it now:D
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 2:18 AM
You can make replacements for the maxis faces? the PRACTICALLY DEFORMED maxis faces?
why has nobody told me how? WHYYYY????
Yours are fantastic, please upload them so my sims can have children that don't look like walking political caricatures!
-amy

Viva Pinata: It's not just a game, it's a movement.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 2:25 AM
@my just look on mts2 there are so many of them I am only making my own to have a full set that I like.

*sigh* i hate maxis skintones but here they are...In all their maxis glory..

Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 3:27 PM
Some pretty unique faces I'd say! Though it seems they all have a really high forehead. lol
Do you also vary the ear size? Just a bit here and there...

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Mar 2009 at 2:19 AM
psychosim0 - They do have high foreheads. OH my there is a trend going on here..
mix up forheads..and ear sizes. Its the small details isnt it that make them unique.

I have done up to 13 and they seem to be getting better. should I take more pictures but with different hair..because i think that hair really lifts it up..
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 21st Mar 2009 at 11:03 AM Last edited by psychosim0 : 21st Mar 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Hair can give a totally different look, yes. To get completely rip of this distraction it was best to use bald heads. Maybe also give one or two pictures of the original maxis faces so we have direct comparison of how the proportions were changed.

And I don't find the high foreheads so bad. You could make this "fault" a feature and give them to all, so it will be like normal genetic culture of the area these sims are living in.

I just had the idea that someone could make a face replacement set of extreme alien faces for an extraterrestrial neighbourhood, but that's off-topic...

Inventor
#13 Old 21st Mar 2009 at 3:29 PM
The hair you used is one of the high forehead ones - alot of the newer maxis hair deform the foreheads, unfortunately. I'd suggest the bald option or one of the original base game hairs, those should be pretty safe - and your faces are all nice and unique.

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Mar 2009 at 2:53 AM
Okay!! That high ponytail does make the forehead appear more larger than it seems..Or so my eyes keep telling me...Here are some samples of faces 1-12...with maxis skin and anva skintone...*hearts* I hope the picture isnt too big

I had to fix 12 that is why its not there but I also have a lot more but these are just the begining...
Thanks for all the advice too all:D
Inventor
#15 Old 22nd Mar 2009 at 4:40 AM
That hair still has a high forehead but at least it just makes her look smart, not alien. The reason for using the maxis is that for different skintones, a face will look different. And alot of people use different defaults, if they use them at all.

I love the variety you're getting here. Lots of pleasant faces that are varing degrees of 'pretty' but that are all beautiful.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2009 at 6:49 AM
Thanks so much Reyn!! I do appreciate that....... Im determined to finish it either today or tommorow...Im spending so much time trying to make unique faces my brain is starting to hurt. LOL!!!

Do you think when I make previews I should go maxis skintone..Then random skintone and make ups on the other sims..Like alot of people do in previews..Use maybe the more popular skintones....
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 3:29 AM Last edited by roshimitzu : 23rd Mar 2009 at 4:14 AM. Reason: change titled
Default Face Replacements *rejected* HELP ploise
Can anybody give me some advice...

My face replacements were rejected....

General - Needs a bit more work...
While we appreciate and understand the time and effort you have taken on your submission, it's just a little bit off in some ways... you've got a great base and a really good start going, but there's certain details that need a little more tweaking before it's quite ready. Please don't take this as any kind of discouragement - in fact, it's meant as exactly the opposite...

This was the reason...Any insight...I really thought they were all unique:S Im kinda confused..
Maybe a mod can help me out a bit too??
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 4:23 AM
Well, they all have the same forehead height, or at least it looks that way...so even though all the faces themselves are different, they look very much alike because of the same forehead (at least that's how it looks to me).

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” George Bernard Shaw

My creations
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 7:12 AM
Hey MartaS650, Really the foreheads are the same height??
Is that the only thing that needs fixing..
Inventor
#20 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 3:48 PM
I'm not sure myself. I think though that simply shifting up a face here and there might help. I'm not a mod and I've never shared my own face templates [which I made just to have some random elves in my neighborhood ], so I couldn't say what they see compared to me.

It does seem that the male faces are using a newer hair, and if you use one of the base game hairs, it might fix things too.

Zombie Socks
#21 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 4:18 PM
Well, I think the problem goes a bit deeper than just foreheads and hair. I think the problem is some of them are rather... odd looking. Others are just a bit ugly. (Don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of very nice-looking sims in your set!) There are just quite a few that need some fixing up to look more normal. While they look normal with a custom skintone because the nose texture and eye texture tends to smooth things like that out, people with Maxis-only skintones will be very dissapointed. Here are a few examples (just from the female so I don't start mixing up numbers)

Unnaturally tilted eyes (while eyes tilt a little, these tilt a bit too much):

1, 9, 11, 12, 23

Unnaturally bulbous noses (nobody says your sims need to all be beauty queens, but these noses are a bit out of control. To have differences in nose shapes that are larger, try making black sims, whose larger noses compliment their facial features without being so bulbous. Also added are just oddly shaped noses):

7, 12, 18, 19

I hope this helps you out some!

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 4:58 PM
I should probably have pointed out that I like odd-looking sims So I didn't go into that. But WWW is certainly right. The sim's faces ought to be focused on their look in maxis content, though you may not like to use it yourself. Good luck!

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” George Bernard Shaw

My creations
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#23 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 5:26 PM
Yeah, I agree with WWW here - unusual faces are fine but with Maxis skins, several of the noses/eyes look pretty weird. They mostly look okay with the custom skins, but since the idea is to create face templates that can be used with any skin (including Maxis) I'd focus on making them look good (not necessarily attractive) with Maxis skin - take out your defaults when creating them, use a really plain Maxis hair with a normal hairline (for females, the basic "missing mesh" straight mid-part is good, and for males, either of the short sort of spiked up ones from the base game), and just work on them that way - don't even put custom skin on them at all until you've finished all your tweaking. It's a good method to use in general when creating sims, since you're eye isn't swayed by texturing which may distort your perception of certain shapes.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 8:24 PM
Some noses(if not most of them) are too close to the upper lip and the toddler/kids versions might look ...odd. Also, the noses all seem the same to me, only some are a bit wider than others. Use some more tools while re-shaping them, like nose turn-up, you can make them pointy, long, short, etc. And also, how noses, mouth, eyes, eyebrows merge together and with the whole face structure matters alot for normal-looking simmies.
I saw some nice faces you made there and I would love to download.(I like 2, 5, 22 and 24)
Instructor
#25 Old 23rd Mar 2009 at 9:06 PM
Something else you might want to take into consideration, if you haven't already: how do they breed? The many facial types are great for variety's sake, but have you run any tests in the CAS baby-maker to see what kind of faces the children will have?
Locked thread | Locked by: lidiqnata Reason: useful comments