Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 4:59 PM
Default Sims 3 on Sale at Steam.
Everything is $5. All EPs and SPs are $5 except Pets and showtime, which are still $20. BUT if you want one of those, you can buy it with the Sims 3 for $7.50! Yeah... Pets alone is $20, but buy it with Sims 3 and the price drops to $7.50. It's like Sims 3 is a being sold for -$13.50. that's insane...

Sims 3 was on my wishlist... not sure if you can get to the sale page on Steam without it being on your wishlist.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 5:06 PM
Is it true that every EA game you own on Steam, you get for free on Origin?
Because if that's the case, I'm buying me 70s, 80s and 90s Stuff - it's the last pack I don't own. I wish I could get a physical copy, since all my other packs are physical, but the stores don't sell it anymore.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 5:31 PM
I got from Steam the Sims 3 and all EPs except Pets. I only bought 1 SP, the rest I don't play with but would love to collect them.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 5:46 PM
Well 70s, 80s & 90s Stuff is my favourite SP, so I really should have it. But I like to keep my franchises all in one place, and for The Sims that place is Origin. So if I'm gonna get it on Steam, where I don't have any other TS3 stuff, I need to make sure I'll get it added to my Origin.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 7:03 PM
You can get to it without it being on your wishlist; just look up Sims 3 on the Featured page and there should be an option for different packs and EPs also listed.

You can list EPs bought on Steam on Origin (does not go the other way, alas), and you have to own the base game on Steam to buy the EPs there.
Site Helper
#6 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 2:37 AM
How long does the sale last? I'm still short on money for a little while, although I've been saving up.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 8:53 AM
So I can get Sims3+Pets to satisfy the sims3 requirement and the other stuff? Neat.
Instructor
#8 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 10:42 AM
Do I really need to have TS3 base game purchased from Steam in order to install EP and SP from Steam?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
How long does the sale last? I'm still short on money for a little while, although I've been saving up.

It says the Summer Sale is June 22nd to July 5th.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj

Through July 5th.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by miarell
Do I really need to have TS3 base game purchased from Steam in order to install EP and SP from Steam?

You cannot mix and match Steam and Orign/disc installs.

If your intention is to actually do Steam installs (the versions of the games are slightly different), you must have all Steam. Base game and all of the EP/SPs that you are interested in. The Origin/disc versions will not work on the Steam platform, as far as Steam is concerned you do not yet own them.

If your intention is to use the Origin codes they throw in at no extra charge upon making Steam purchases and keep everything on Origin thus not doing a Steam platform install at all, then the issue becomes that you must own (even if you have no plans to install) the Steam version base game in order to be allowed to purchase the EP/SPs and thus get those Origin codes.
Instructor
#12 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
You cannot mix and match Steam and Orign/disc installs.

If your intention is to actually do Steam installs (the versions of the games are slightly different), you must have all Steam. Base game and all of the EP/SPs that you are interested in. The Origin/disc versions will not work on the Steam platform, as far as Steam is concerned you do not yet own them.

If your intention is to use the Origin codes they throw in at no extra charge upon making Steam purchases and keep everything on Origin thus not doing a Steam platform install at all, then the issue becomes that you must own (even if you have no plans to install) the Steam version base game in order to be allowed to purchase the EP/SPs and thus get those Origin codes.

I have the base game installed via disk so I should'nd even bother with this sale? Darn it. Thanks anyway.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by miarell
I have the base game installed via disk so I should'nd even bother with this sale? Darn it. Thanks anyway.

Well, it depends. If you are going to stay on the Origin platform and the point of this is to acquire let's say four new EP/SPs, then you could purchase (but not install) the Steam base game, and then the packs at the 75% off sale prices only to get the Origin codes. The base game purchase will be useless, but you still end up netting a huge savings.

There are so many different combinations it's difficult to predict what each player really wants/needs.
#14 Old 24th Jun 2017 at 11:10 PM
I've heard a lot of people say they play with the Steam and Origin stuff mixed, but that you need to get the base game through Steam to do so.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 25th Jun 2017 at 1:40 AM
EDIT: Nevermind on my old question. I figured it out.

@BlackjackGabbiani how do people do that? And can they mix in CD copies too? Thanks.

By the way, I snagged up whatever isn't currently shipping as DVDs.

I'm gonna reunite with my TS3

Those were tears of joy

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Instructor
#16 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 8:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Well, it depends. If you are going to stay on the Origin platform and the point of this is to acquire let's say four new EP/SPs, then you could purchase (but not install) the Steam base game, and then the packs at the 75% off sale prices only to get the Origin codes. The base game purchase will be useless, but you still end up netting a huge savings.

There are so many different combinations it's difficult to predict what each player really wants/needs.

But do I need the Steam version of the base game or can I install EP from Steam while I have disk version of the game. Can I mix disk base game with the Steam EP? I'm confused becouse it sais I need the base game from Steam for it to work. Even if I buy the Steam base game and not install it, will it let me install the EP from Steam.

All of my EP and SP are disks so this digital installing is new to me.
Site Helper
#17 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 12:45 PM
Put together from things I have seen posted, but have not had experience with since I have not yet purchased an EP from Steam:

Steam insists that you -own- a Steam copy of the base game before buying an EP. They give you a free code which can be used with Origin to use it in your Origin setup (which is what you have when your EPs are all on disc.) But if you go that route, your game will end up with the 1.69 patch. If you don't mind being unable to bypass the Launcher or use FPS Limiter you can get the base game with Pets or Showtime in this sale. If you like staying on Patch 1.67, this sale is probably not worth bothering with. (At least I've still got that money I was saving, so I can use it for something else.)

Once you are on record as having the Steam base game, even if it is not installed and will never be installed, you can install the purchased EP through Origin with the free Origin code that they give you. (which will also install the 1.69 patch. ) A mixed Origin/disc game still works.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#18 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 3:06 PM
You cannot mix Steam and Origin/disc installs (repeating myself). They are different programs. Steam is a gaming platform, the versions of the game that run on it are different from the Origin/disc versions and they cannot be mixed together.

You can purchase from Steam and use the Origin code they throw in at no extra charge to install and keep everything on Origin/disc (and Patch 1.69). Or you can purchase from Steam and install on Steam (Patch 1.67), but not if you have an Origin/disc install in place already as that would have be uninstalled first. If going that route, you would have repurchase everything on Steam as Steam will not recognize your Origin/disc games at all.