Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 2:38 PM Last edited by RockStarDrunk : 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:40 PM. Reason: Solved

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Preview Lot Bin Files?
I apologize if this is the wrong section. There is no issue or problem that needs to be fixed. I just need some input on an issue I'm tackling.

I reinstalled all expansions and stuff packs after making a complete backup of my Sims 2 documents folder. There are lots I remodeled that I'd like to carry over to the new install folders.

I'd like suggestions on how to go about going through my old lot bin folder to find those lots and copy them over. I used this tutorial to save them if it helps any.
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 2:51 PM
You can open lots in SimPE and in there you'll see the preview pic. Then you can note down the file names of the lots you want to keep. OR you can just dump them all in your new game and then go through the lot catalog and delete in-game the ones you don't want.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:39 PM
I can navigate SimPE pretty well so this works for me. I have about 300 or so files (I downloaded a ton of lots as well) and was hoping to avoid dumping them into the folder. I did that before and ended up with a ton of duplicate maxis lots.

Thank you so much for this suggestion!
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2018 at 3:46 PM
Yeah, the Maxis lots are in the lot catalog, so if you dump in a backup, you'll get duplicate Maxis lots because for whatever reason they don't seem to just overwrite each other. But if you have 300 lots in there, then it'll probably be faster to go through them in SimPE, if only because you won't have to wait for the game to load the thumbnails for the next "page" of lots. You can delete them out of the catalog as you go that way, too. Open up a lot in SimPE, and if it's not one you want to keep, load the next one, then delete the first one out of the folder, etc.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 4:44 AM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 2nd Jul 2019 at 5:17 AM.
Have some weird stuff going on with the Maxis default lots. They show up in duplicate - three lots, repeat same three lots, next three lots, repeat same lots, etc. Also there are Sims in the Lot Catalog that I can't identify and don't know how they got there. Is it safe to just delete them?

Update: Yep, I've got duplicates of all the Maxis default lots, plus the Kat and Kim houses and families (which I didn't want). Just discovered how to use Clean Installer to remove them, too, so I think the problem is about to go away.

In case anyone wants to know how:
1) Start Clean Installer.
2) Tell it to look in Lot Catalog. Duplicates will show up in pink.
3) Right-click on each duplicate (or other unwanted file) to "remove package". You will be warned that this action cannot be undone. If you're sure, go ahead.

End of problem.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2019 at 9:55 AM
You can also lock them out from appearing in game without deleting them in the Clean Installer. I found this out when some lots refused to be deleted and kept appearing in the lot listing in game.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles