Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 6:03 PM
Cool, great choice.
Good value too; I thought you'd been completely mad to spend $1,600 on your PC, since surely you could saved some 30% by building it yourself, but then I realized $1,600 in CAD is less than the €1200 I spent on a marginally better PC. Turns out conversion rates are a thing, even though I always thought the world's major currencies were all basically the same.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 7:04 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 24th Sep 2017 at 11:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mister_wolfe
this is the computer I finally chose:
ASUS ROG GR8 II-T043Z mini-desktop . It has GeForce GTX 1060 3GB graphics card, Windows 10, Intel Core i7, 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD drive, and 1TB harddrive. It cost $1589.99 Canadian from Staples.ca.

If you really want to spend that amount of money, I'd suggest you to wait for the 8th generation Intel Core series and build your own rig, the 8th gen also based on LGA 1151 platform, go here and here and here for more details, so while you wait.. you can now try to look what 1151 Asus ROG motherboard that fits your need in the long run, and also get the 16GB DDR4 per module/stick instead of 8GB one, get pair of them or 4 of them if you want to maxed out your RAM so you can utilize RAMDisk anyway you want it, for storage get the 128Gb or 256GB SSD instead so in exchange you probably may get the GTX 1080, for HDD get the 2.5" HDD for laptop instead of the 3.25", yes it's smaller and was design for laptops, but there's advantage, it reads faster whilst the 3.25" writes faster.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
for storage get the 128Gb or 256GB SSD instead so in exchange you probably may get the GTX 1080

Uh, why? It's nice to have a 1080, but you might as well save up for it or wait for it to come down in price, but having a 128Gb SSD is a terrible idea. My old PC had one; it was always full. Even after moving all my important documents elsewhere, and getting rid of all the software I didn't use, it was still always full.

256Gb is sufficent, but hardly roomy. I have two 512Gb drives, one for essential system data and one for my games, and they're somehow both over 75% full

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Instructor
#29 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Uh, why? It's nice to have a 1080, but you might as well save up for it or wait for it to come down in price, but having a 128Gb SSD is a terrible idea. My old PC had one; it was always full. Even after moving all my important documents elsewhere, and getting rid of all the software I didn't use, it was still always full.

Well here's why, because the bigger the size of storage whether it's SSD or HDD, we can never utilize 100% of their space without the help of Disk Unlocker software, even with Disk Unlocker there are some risks if we unlocked them, the bigger size the storage the more size also that we can't utilize, a 64GB SSD can only be utilize about 59GB, the 128GB SSD can only be utilize about 112GB, so why buy more bigger SSD when we know we will also lose more at the same time?

And secondly most of today's set up are Hybrid set up; SSD + HDD, SSD are generally for OS and programs set up, while anything we may need to stored we can always put them in HDD with larger space, even Windows OS paging file system don't really need SSD and can be allocated to HDD so there's not going to be excessive writings for SSD.

Now with big RAMs like 16 or 32GB or even more, like TS3 with all EPs SP tons of CCs and Mods need at least 28GB - 32Gb to stored, they can just be stored to HDD, then set up a RAMDrive with RAMDisk, whenever we want to play them the game will be load from RAMDrive, RAMDrive are way lot faster than any SSD, and most RAM today have lifetime warranty so there's nothing to worry even if they break, just claim the warranty, while most SSD are only have about 3-5 years warranty, both SSD and big RAM package price are about the same, so I personally would rather invest my money on RAM instead buying a bigger SSD, in the long run it will also be useful if I decided to upgrade to 4 channels RAM's motherboard because i already have them, by the time they'll be selling their LGA 2066 motherboard, it's going to be cheap compares to their price today.
Theorist
#30 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 10:31 PM
I try to keep my C Drive free from games too. I wish we could change the location of the electronic arts\sims3 folder like we can with the base / expansion paths....

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#31 Old 24th Sep 2017 at 11:25 PM
You can, all it takes is a symlink.

insert signature here
Instructor
#32 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 12:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
I try to keep my C Drive free from games too. I wish we could change the location of the electronic arts\sims3 folder like we can with the base / expansion paths....

Actually you can, there's an option to customize at the beginning installation, but you need to make TS3 and all EPs SPs folders manually first so you can easily navigate the installation to where you want it to be installed (like in the pictures below).

Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
it was always full. Even after moving all my important documents elsewhere, and getting rid of all the software I didn't use, it was still always full.

Sorry I forgot to respond to the 2nd subject, but I think you might forgotten to clean up your disk periodically using Disk Cleanup so it won't get full, empty your Recycle Bin first and then do Disk Cleanup, but Disk Cleanup won't really cleanup everything that actually safe to be removed, you can do it manually if you need more space, go to your C drive and change your folder options to show all hidden files, and then go to C:\Users\<usename>\AppData\Local\Temp\.., you can safely remove all files in this Temp folder, it won't harm your Windows OS as Windows will regenerate them when its needed, hide back the hidden files and restart your computer and you'll notice it will boot up faster when login back to Windows after you cleaned them. It's ok to disk cleanup your SSD, just don't defragment it except for your HDD.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#33 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Sorry I forgot to respond to the 2nd subject, but I think you might forgotten to clean up your disk periodically using Disk Cleanup so it won't get full, empty your Recycle Bin first and then do Disk Cleanup, but Disk Cleanup won't really cleanup everything that actually safe to be removed, you can do it manually if you need more space, go to your C drive and change your folder options to show all hidden files, and then go to C:\Users\<usename>\AppData\Local\Temp\.., you can safely remove all files in this Temp folder, it won't harm your Windows OS as Windows will regenerate them when its needed, hide back the hidden files and restart your computer and you'll notice it will boot up faster when login back to Windows after you cleaned them. It's ok to disk cleanup your SSD, just don't defragment it except for your HDD.

Yeah, no, it's just 300+100+1400 gigabytes of unnecessary crap. If it were leftovers some tool could auto-delete, I'd have done it that way long ago.

insert signature here
Theorist
#34 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 5:26 AM
Hi PapaEmy. I know about that, it's the documents folder I meant. Where it stores your saves.

#BlairWitchPetition
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Instructor
#35 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 9:00 AM Last edited by PapaEmy : 25th Sep 2017 at 9:49 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Hi PapaEmy. I know about that, it's the documents folder I meant. Where it stores your saves.

Well that can be done also, but that must include the whole Documents folder (not just the Electronics Arts TS3 Documents), I personally moved all my Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos folders to my D drive, if you want to try the same setup, just go to your C:\Users\<username>\.. folder, and you'll find your Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos and etc under the <username> folder.

If you want to move all or some or any of them, first you must copy all (or any) folders that you want to move to your D or other storage drive, then after you copied them to D drive for example, go back to your C:\Users\<username>\.. folder, and then right click on your Documents folder and click Properties, then choose "Location" tab from Documents Properties Menu, and then click the "Move.." button and just navigate it to Documents folder you just copied in your D drive, here's an example to move my Saved Games folder to D;

And then scroll down to the bottom to find and select your D drive;

then just click the "Select Folder" and you're done, NOTE: if Windows asks to replace the files in your destination folder, just click ok, because you had copied them earlier, because the destination folder is not an empty folder.

There's another short way to do it, but you still have to make your destination folder first, you don't have to copy the contents if you make your destination folder manually, and then in the first picture, just replace the "C:\Users\.." to D:\Saved Games like in the pic below;

Click "Apply" to finish the process and you're done.

PS: If you're on Windows 10 like me, you can also move your Windows 10 Store apps to D drive or another drive to safe space on your C drive, just go to "Settings" then go to "System" and choose the "Storage" and change what drive the new apps will be installed (see pic below);

Theorist
#36 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 2:35 PM
Hmm thanks I'll probably try that later 🙂

#BlairWitchPetition
Field Researcher
#37 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 10:27 PM
I have the GTX 1060 for sims 3 and 3 eps with sweet fx, runs that well but cant run reshade well though without huge fps drops, but I am playing in 4k.
Page 2 of 2