Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#326 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 10:27 PM
It is ok @OnayaW really! we all do stuff
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#327 Old 20th Feb 2018 at 10:48 PM
Contests are all about learning, I learnt how to decorate better in contests and how to take proper pictures. Take any advice and think on it, don't just toss it aside, most of us have room for improvement. Sometimes you may disagree with a judge and that is okay too we all have our preferences.
I am halfway through and spending some time looking over and suggesting things, I put down scores and later amend them and sometimes amend them some more. Just so you know I don't judge quickly and how I score is first I write down comments on things that I see or read and I jot down scores based on my first impression and what I see but I also base scores on the best entries. I use those as a guideline for the top scores and adjust other entries based on that. If you lose half a point someplace it's often because another entry did an area better. Small mistakes such as a bar stool getting in the way is a slight problem, so those would only ever earn 1/2 a point less. What you really don't want to do is forget something major which your lot needs and someone unfortunately has done that. Sometimes it helps to list all the important features and make sure you have those before submitting. Not you @OnayaW nor is this post directed to you, I thought people might like to know what goes into judging or how I judge anyway. I've judged numerous times now so I have a bit of a system.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#328 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 12:21 AM
@Justpetro if I upload the pub I am going to have to remove some of the decorative items because the list is so long and also because some of it will be really hard to find links for now that BPS has gone. Do you still want it?

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#329 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 7:57 AM
Yes pretty please? I will add some decor where needed myself @Karen Lorraine.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#330 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 8:38 AM
Ok I will reduce the decor (can replace some of it with maxis stuff)

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#331 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 2:47 PM
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#332 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 1:18 AM
Hoping someone will remind me to put up the next lot's information tomorrow night We are just under 4 days away from end of judge's time. I have 1 done, and 2 actively working on it
Instructor
#333 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 9:26 AM
When is tomorrow night for you gdayars lol..if it's tomorrow night now well I am here to remind you..if not opps..
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#334 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 11:41 AM
I'll remind you Gayars. It's not like I'm waiting here tapping my foot.

Oh no, not at all
<glares>*

*staff room joke, don't be offended on Gayars' behalf.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#335 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 12:03 PM
I'm undecided what to do for the next rounds so knowing the lot size soon would really help hahahaha is it tomorrow yet?
Instructor
#336 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 12:44 PM
I have all my recolors done I think..just waiting on the next round..
Mad Poster
#337 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 12:45 PM
Quick update from me on how I will judge, figured it might be nice for you guys to know in advance so you can keep it in mind when they are posted. I also want to offer some generic pointers of things to keep in mind as you work on the next round.

If you have questions for me or something that you want me to read/see/respond to, please tag me. Still not great health-wise so I don't quite have the energy to keep up with the thread . If you want to be sure I see it, a tag will ensure that I do

How I'm judging
In an attempt to make judging the judging even so that everyone get judged the same way, I have broken down the categories into criteria. Each point stands for something I think you should have done, so when I judge I go over your pictures and count how many points-criteria you achieved in each category. For example, in the theme category you get a point for having plants that match the region you chose, a point for furniture that matches, a point for getting the right ambiance, a point for lot matching what you intended to make, and the last point is awarded if everything about it screams the theme you chose.

There's still subjective judging, can't eliminate that completely, but my hope is that by creating specific criteria like that you guys get a more fair judging that is even across the board and one that isn't based so much on my own personal preferences in styles

Finally, if you get a low/medium score in something please remember it's not that you are a terrible builder, it just means there's room to grow and hopefully the feedback will help you do so.

Tips for next round
You guys are really nailing the theme part, great job. Lots of creative ideas and interesting builds. Great to see so many lots that I can't recall ever seeing the like of. I hope many of you consider uploading your lots But here are some notes based on what I've seen so far:

- Please state more clearly what your theme is. I'd like to see everyone have a "Theme: X" line in their post. Sounds silly I know, but there have been a few where I am uncertain and it would be a shame to judge your lot based on a different theme than you wanted. So try and remember to add that line, makes our job easier

- While play-based pictures with Sims are very pretty and can give your lot some life, there's a bit too much of that going on and not enough showing off your actual build. It's great fun seeing your lot in action, but it's a build contest and in order to judge your build I have to be able to see it properly. So in the next round, I'd recommend you go over your pictures and make sure you've covered everything before going for in-play pictures Some of you would have lost points because of this if we had been deducing points for screenshots this round, so in the next round I would love to see you all do your great lots justice and focus a bit more on showing off the build

- Remember to keep walls up when you take your pictures. It's okay to have them down on a floorplan picture, but for the rest walls should be fully up. Easy to miss, I know, but walls are a big part of the interior decorating and if I can't see a wall then I can't judge it

- Remember the roof angle tool. Very few roofs should ever be 45 degree angle (which is what it starts at when you add the roof), it's much too high. So if you have access to the tool, it's a great way to make your building look more realistic. Most of you did great with this, but since it's a beginners contest and roofs are the hardest part to learn I wanted to remind you all that the tool exist and it's a good one to try and learn If you don't have access to the tool or the cheat it might be good to mention this in your post, so I can take that into account when judging.

- Another handy tool is the lotadjustor. You can use it to be able to have walls one tile from the edge, and with a limited lot size the extra two tiles can really help reduce narrow areas and improve playability. It's perfectly fine to have two tiles, just a tip on something you can use to your advantage.

- Think more about playability. Remember that playability is not just about all objects being usable, it's about all the aspects of how well a lot works when playing.

- When taking your screenshots, try to forget that you know what it looks like. Try to get in the mindset of someone that's never seen it before. You built it, you know every nook and cranny, but us judges have no idea. We need you to show us everything there is to see. I find it's easy to forget to show off some angles because you know they are there and sort of take them from granted. Trying to get in the mindset of "I have no idea how this looks" can help counteract that a bit

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#338 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 2:13 PM
"puts pillow under maxon's foot".

New amount and sizes up

I will be checking this time to make sure screenshots are ok.

After a few judge complaints that things are difficult to tell in some of the pictures. Walls up, closer floorplans etc. are needed. But what I will do is make sure they are up to par before round ends this time, so to avoid issues my bad. In my defense it is the first BUILD contest I have hosted.
Instructor
#339 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 2:38 PM
Thank you all for the advice..this is my first build contest and will take all the advice I can get lol..
Also, I got one message on my build and score and was wondering if I will be getting other judges to send me a message on how my build for the first round is scored by you..it would really mean a lot..
I'm a total wreck now..I need a drink

Good luck to all contestants and play alongs :D
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#340 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 3:03 PM
I will be posting a few things as well broomhilda but..... It will be in a few days as we have entered taking daughter to a gazillion appointments phase.... (Extremely high risk pregnancy)
Mad Poster
#341 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 3:47 PM
Strongs for all of you, @gdayars. I will be thinking of you.
Instructor
#342 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 4:51 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and your family.. :lovestruc
Helptato
#343 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 8:13 PM
Thinking of you and your family Gdayars!

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#344 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 9:04 PM
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#345 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 9:50 PM
Actually, it's not okay to have walls down on floor plan pictures. If you read over the photo rules, the photos must meet all the criteria as if you were uploading a lot here and one of those is that walls must be up on floor plans.

The reason for walls up is we can see if the walls have some wall covering, items like paintings do not disappear and we can see window placement. Yes, I know things like toilets often hide but if you use the down arrow (do not tilt like sims 3 or 4) and get in really close most everything can be seen. Sometimes it helps to turn your lot and take the pictures from another side. Really close means the walls of your building is nearly or just touching the edge of the picture frame, not the edges of your lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#346 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 9:54 PM
Double post since edit stops the hail.

@broomhilda61 I have done up for you and all play alongs a comment. I have a few things included for you to try out on your lot. There are no scores for play alongs, you are not being judged only helped/commented on.

@maxon

If a play along would rather not have my comments, please say so and I will take you off the comment list.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#347 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 10:13 PM
Wait, broomhilda said she got a message from a judge about her build as a play along? I haven't gotten any comments whatsoever, am I missing something?

Sims 2 Story|My Tumblr|Donate
See something of mine you like? Just ask, and I'll get you a link to the item you're looking for.
Top Secret Researcher
#348 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 12:01 AM Last edited by yavannatw : 23rd Feb 2018 at 2:16 AM.
Well into the second build (I did have a plan waiting). Already at 85,000 and I haven't begun to decorate, add lighting or landscaping...
I can never remember where the lighted dance floor is. Can anyone enlighten me (haha)?

Edit: found it under rugs... (weird)

2nd edit: I just can't stop myself. I'm pretty much finished. I'll leave it for a few days just to be sure. Got to about 99,900.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#349 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 1:04 AM
My comments will be posted here by Gina, same as judging comments, so if another judge contacted Broomhilda with a comment I don't know about it.

~Call me Jo~
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#350 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 1:34 AM
Well.. Just darn you guys anyway. I am SHOPPING for CC ! (Like I NEED more Sims 2 CC!)

Page 14 of 59