Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 11:31 AM
Default Weird ground lighting issue?
So In my custom SV that I use for my gameplay, I noticed there is a weird issue on some areas on the ground. I literally have no idea what causes this or how to resolve this but if anyone has any ideas I would love to try them out.
So as you can see in the pics the ground seems like it's being split into 2 and it can be very distracting (especially at night, or when it's raining and the ground gets wet.) This happens in quite a few locations throughout the world (but I didnt include them all since you can get the idea.) I tried removing the roads, repainting the terrain with a different texture, scultping the terrain but nothing works.
Thanks in advance!
Screenshots
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 11:49 AM
Is it perhaps tiling in the texture? If you can see a pattern when you see it from afar.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 11:56 AM
Do those lighting differences follow the chunk boundaries perhaps?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 12:17 PM
@simsample Ok so I turned on the "Show Chunk Boundaries" option from the view menu and this is what I see. Some red and some blue, I never really paid attention to chunk boundaries, because I only edit premade worlds so I figured that there wouldn't be a problem there. But you are correct they do actually follow the chunk boundaries.

@Volvenom I don't see any pattern when zooming out...is there anything else I should try?
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 12:52 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure what you can do about the lighting issue if it's caused by the chunk shading- maybe try moving some lamps or using a lighting mod or custom colour ramps to minimise the effect. It's an artefact of the way the game works.

The blue chunks are those which have less than 8 different terrain paints used in them, the red ones are those which have more than 8 terrain paints. EA recommend keeping to less then 8 for best performance.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 3:07 PM
Everything I know about the way worlds are designed tells me that you're not going to be able to fix that. But SV is a well-designed world and the fact that there's no blatant issues with the lighting otherwise is a big plus.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2018 at 4:39 PM
Darn, this is bad news
I guess I'll try moving around some of the lamp posts to make the light flow better. Either way thanks for your help everyone!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 2:44 AM
You added terrain paints to exceed the 8? Do you have the problem only on borders where the chunk boundaries are red?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 9:20 AM
@daisylee Yes I did add an extra grass terrain paint (from the base game) and I only painted a small little area. The issue however appears on all borders both red and blue.
dodgy builder
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 10:22 AM
Have you tested the world in game? What is SV short for?

Perhaps you could try cleaning the global layer?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 1:45 PM
SV stands for Sunset Valley (the basegame world) and yeah I have tested it in-game. I could try cleaning the global layer, but will this remove the already populated sims in the world?
dodgy builder
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 2:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsi45
SV stands for Sunset Valley (the basegame world) and yeah I have tested it in-game. I could try cleaning the global layer, but will this remove the already populated sims in the world?

Yes, don't do it if you have got that far. Have someone else tested the world, perhaps you're the only one having these issues. Do you know when it happened, perhaps you can go back to a previous save.