Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 6:13 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 11th Aug 2019 at 6:34 PM.
Default Moving sims to a house where they can't afford furnitures....What's your rules?
So basically, I'm not a huge of moving sims around or look at existing houses. I simply just move them to a house/apartment and let them live there for most of their life and just using instincts "this would do". But often I end up with a dilemma...

They get a too expensive house on their budget. For example, I have a high level medical pregnant sim and her elder spouse move in to one of the Pleasant-view houses. Just the typical bathroom and kitchen is furnished. They have 2K in spending funds and earn 7800$ per sim week.

I don't like moving sims out and try to use a challenge when this happens. So I'm wondering:

If you DON'T want to move them out, what's your rules in this type of situations?
Loans, Mortgages, etc. When I first played the game, I tried to have sims safe up, but baby on the way and just 2K on their hands, I feel that might be a bit too difficult.... In my previous hoods, I just cheated them with funds, but I try to play the game with minimal cheating... Not sure if this is worse scenario than moving sims to a TOO SMALL lot instead, which also happens frequently.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 6:31 PM
I have moved Sims in that situation to a small lot (CUSTOM small!). And then just build a box with just essentials, and a "box" with toilet and bathtub. By the time the baby turns toddler they should be able to move to a bigger lot - still cheaper to build as they go.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 6:32 PM
My sims have to have at least 11,000 simoleans to spare when they move into a house, otherwise they can't afford it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 9:30 PM
I use Inge's mortgage system. They can borrow in increments of $1000 or $10,000, pay interest, and I usually have a wealthy enough sim around to hold the loan and collect interest. If I don't, then the payments go into the ether. However, those payments can be rough. In this case, they'll have nearly as much in paycheck as they have on hand, so they could go to work that first day (if they work that day) and buy the bare necessities when they get home, or if they don't work, they can get the very cheapest things and upgrade when they get paid again.

Are they the sort of sims to be frugal and live off their actual income? Will they borrow to keep up appearances and possibly bankrupt themselves in the process? Everything has to be the best for Baby and we'll pay it off with the life insurance policy when Daddy dies, so as long as we can make the payments it'll be fine? Mommy's due for a promotion Real Soon Now so we'll borrow against the future?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Field Researcher
#5 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 9:51 PM
It's rare that I have sims who are starting from complete scratch - most of the time, when they move, I put at least their bed in the inventory. So if they have the kitchen and a bathroom, they'll probably be okay until they can save up for the things that they need.

I actually also charge them a moving fee, plus a land transfer tax if they are buying - it's higher in Pleasantview than if they are moving Downtown as the downtown is a less desirable place to have a house - not as much space, lawn. restrictions on the numbers of floors, etc.

I used to allow my sims to go into debt by setting up the bill payee/payer system, but I found that it would glitch and sims would be paying 2 or 3 times the taxes I had set. Or they would just borrow borrow borrow and it would become another generation's problem - but that only was interesting if I got to the next generation.

I too don't like to cheat and give them stuff they didn't pay for. I have found that I am really enjoying decorating homes, and am spending more time with decore and placement of objects than I did 10 years ago.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 10:22 PM Last edited by FranH : 12th Aug 2019 at 5:15 AM.
I've done this-the male of the pair moves out (with all of his available funds) and has his fiancee 'wire' him the money needed while he's still in the Sim Bin. Then he'll buy it, and put the rest of the money back into the bank. (she joins him later in the day).

For the kids who moved out of college, their parents send them money enough to afford their first house. I don't overspend the money involved, either. They'll move into the new house with a few thousand left, but not any huge amount of money.

The houses I build are fairly cheap by human and pixel standards. The only ones that cost really big money are reserved for those who have gotten the kids off to college and have well-established careers. All of the houses I use are furnished-moderately. No luxury stuff for those starting out!

I dislike moving pixels unnecessarily-and only do so on Mondays.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 11th Aug 2019 at 11:59 PM
I move a family if they need more room and can afford to move. I don't have any rules about it. I makeover a larger house in 0-$1 walls and floors and other cheap cc furnishings. I have groups of houses starting at about 5K then 10k, 15k and 20K. One family just moved into the largest 20K house. (police chief and fire chief) They happen to both be in good jobs and actually moved to the top and saved up easily with all the bonus money. The other families are not so lucky. The fairy household for example, he makes $250 per week as a mail carrier and she runs the shop. They have 2 kids in a bunk in a 3 by 3 bedroom. They have saved up 3k.

I would like to move my family with the quads. He is a GP making about 2k per week and she runs a shop. The quads share 1 bedroom with bunk beds but they are still trying to afford to fully furnish their house since they could barely afford the one I moved them into after they surprised me with 4 boys. The boys are some days now into childhood and they only just bought a stove... I may move them with a small loan yet since the house while cute is kind of annoying due to the CFE used. Very hard to get any kind of decent photo. He may be a GP for a very long time as he has no wish to gain the skills needed for a promotion. I was just glad the place has a bedroom large enough to take 2 bunk beds for the boys and they have had no more babies. He wanted 10 at one stage and I was like nope!

Normally I take out a small loan or use a few mortgage shrubs but I have been trying for a debt-free hood this time.

I pack most of the house before moving, jot down season length and day and time.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 12:38 AM
Familyfunds/motherlode until they can afford it. I have no rules when it comes to lot prices.
Scholar
#9 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 2:08 AM
My default rule is that Sims can only spend 65% of their capital on buying a house, to give them something left over for buying furniture. If the house is for sale fully furnished, they can still only spend 90%, because they may want something extra or have bills to pay before the first paycheck comes in. If they can't afford to buy, they have to rent.

Sometimes, though, if the parents have good jobs and especially if they also have a baby on the way, I may allow them to take out a mortgage using Inge's shrubs. I just had a couple graduate from LFT and I wanted them to live Downtown, but they didn't have quite enough for a house (plus what they did have was divided between them when they moved from college to the main bin), so I put $20K of mortgage shrubs on the lot, moved them in, and then had them pay off all but $3K of the loan. They both have good jobs, so the rest will be paid off within a couple of days.
Scholar
#10 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 3:24 AM
I have starter furniture that is incredibly cheap. Way too long ago to remember who the creator was and I think there was more to the set then what I kept. I think of it like one of those inexpensive furniture stores where you buy the whole room for less than you buy individual pieces. I have a living room, dining room some pieces for the bedroom and I know there used to be a full nursery but I wasn't really interested in that. It even includes lamps and drapes and some wall deco pieces. They start off with this stuff and slowly replace it or if they have a big win fall at work they might do a full redecoration. I don't like to move houses either so I tend to either build on or make it work within the confines of the house they live in. I don't use anything larger than a medium lot as I find large lots cumbersome and laggy. So no mansions in my hood no matter how rich the sim is.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 4:27 AM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 13th Aug 2019 at 3:44 AM.
I just...don't do it. Don't move into a starter house that will leave them with less than $2K to buy furniture, unless the house has all basic furniture. They can always build on to the house later. Building a viable starter for under $20K is a simple matter of experience. You do it often enough, you get good at it. You'll wind up with a handful of items over and over again, but these are easily replaced as the money situation improves. Good beds and stoves are the first priority, and after that, you can make a modification or two every bill day after paying the bills, and you'll soon have a nicely individuated house.

When moving from one house to another - which I do freely, whenever it makes sense for them to do it - I put all the furniture they would keep (except the car and beds, which can cause problems in inventory due to glitches involving ownership tags in inventory) into their inventory. I can then move them into a house that costs almost all their family funds, and only have to buy the beds and car.

Pre-furnishing the house will prevent you not only from moving them into a place they can't afford, but from accidentally training your Fortune sims to want things, as if you move them into an empty house everybody will roll wants for essential items like refrigerators and plumbing. Filling all those wants from the start is enough to train Fortune sims, who are already prone to such wants, to roll more material-object wants.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#12 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 2:07 PM
I use the mortgage shrub and then when they have the house fully furnished, I remove the shrubs then they have to work to get rid of their debt. if they need additional furniture while still in debt I get the shrubs out again and the money used is added to their current debt.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Forum Resident
#13 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 3:27 PM
I also use the mortgage shrubs, but only for buying/adding on to houses, which could or could not be furnished - depends on the sims. Different sims have different personalities, initial wealth, and jobs. If they have or can get a good job (because they just got out of college or have a lot of skills), they would get a mortgage. If they're poor, they can't afford a mortgage. So, they get a shack they can afford. Some can only afford the very basics (trashy-looking cheap custom content). Some can't even afford that, so they use the bathroom outside, sleep on the floor, and shower at the local community pool. Then they get jobs, plant gardens, sew, etc. to save up money. At that point, they gradually improve their home as they can afford it. Then there are those who can afford a mortgage or bought a house outright and have no money left for furniture. In this situation, if they can afford to pay the payments, I let them borrow money using Cyjon's loan jar. This little item lets you set the interest rate. High risk sims get high risk rates, so they can't afford much furniture. It doesn't force the sims to pay, so I have to do it. If they get behind on payments, they have to sell something. There are also low-rent apartments for starting out as well. Most of my sims add on to their existing homes instead of moving to a bigger one. When the Newsons started out, they had a very basic shack. The toddlers were sleeping on blankets, the older ones on the floor. Eventually, with the kids gardening and painting, the older ones working part time jobs and sewing, they improved their small shack over the years. Now it is a very nice, three-story home where 2 of their grown children live with their wives and kids. It just depends on the sim's situation as to how they handle getting started in life.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 5:59 PM
I let them suffer. If they don't have money for furniture, they don't have furniture. I might sell the wallpaper in an emergency. My Singles ladies spend an afternoon digging treasure just to afford rent to move in, then spent half of the week playing musical beds. That said, I did get cheaty with Chloe because she moved out with her toddler and my plan was to make her dig for rent too, but her son's hunger bar started dropping low and I was worried the social worker would show up, so I kachinged her some cash.
But mostly they suffer.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 10:43 PM
First, I am not big on the normal starter house - my sims get a bigger lot as well as a house with bigger rooms, so that they can stay there longer. That means that there are always some empty rooms when they move in, because things are bought when needed. The small starters in my hoods are for emergency housing.

Deeper into playing the hood, I often combine families, moving in the eldest child and spouse with the parents, or move single siblings or just a bunch of friends together.

I like proper routing and enough space for sims to do things (like Tai Chi, water balloon fights, etc, as well as farming) - so houses often have no garden at all as well, until the sims can start planting.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 5:19 AM
I don't seem to have a problem with sims being short on funds in my established hood. University graduates usually move back in with their parents, or marry into an existing family. For everyone else, it's more of a problem to stop them getting wildly wealthy; I have families of seven or eight where only one sim at a time has had even a low-level job for a couple of generations, and they can still afford to redecorate now and then and buy new outfits for kids who age up.

In a newer hood, though, it got a little difficult having sims grow up and move into their own places with no20khandouts in my game. I had a few in a row try to make it on their own with only $4500 to spend, and there were some uncomfortable nights on couches in unpainted single-room shacks. I'll be removing the mod before future generations of my legacy family come of age, because that 20k makes things so much easier.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 10:05 PM
Well, of course there are no "rules" in my game, because my Sims hate rules, and think they only exist to be broken. But, by and large, I'm much the same as Peni. I usually make sure the house has all the basics before they buy it. And I choose items that they can afford. There are a couple of CC items that I often use to help keep the price of a house down:

Instead of a wardrobe, I often give them christianlov's Sim Boutique clothing rack. This costs nothing and, as a bonus, has a few extra features (like changing appearance, and summoning and dressing other Sims), that you don't get with an ordinary Maxis wardrobe.

There's also a rather naughty shower by Numenor on our sister site Sexy Sims. I won't give a link as it's an adult site, but it's easy enough to find. Its main attraction for impecunious Sims is that it only costs §25 -- a lot less than the cheapest Maxis shower. (It also raises their fun levels, provided that they are a little bit naughty in the shower. They tend to be "naughty" autonomously.)

Even without CC though, it's not hard to make a nice starter home for under §20K. My one and only upload here to date (which is CC-free and base-game-compatible) can sleep up to 7 Sims for under §20K, though they will have to wait for their first paycheck to buy the 3rd double bed.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 2:31 AM
I can usually with CC make starter homes for about $10,000. There's lot of content available to really price it down, if your pixels don't mind the environment scores..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 4:20 PM
Sometimes the first night in a new house looks like this:

And sometimes they even have to visit the gymn, if they need a shower. Or go to the park and grab some hot dogs.
Alchemist
#20 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 5:20 PM
I don't really have rules and rarely pay attention to the money. Unless it's a certain kind of story where I've decided that a sim would pay attention to money. Then, I have a few typical one room houses on 1x1s that the sims use for halfway houses while they wait for a call back on a job or for a closing on a house, and I have a couple of itinerant camps I use where they live rough or off community sites till social services comes and takes their kids.... Some eat out of the community garden till they get themselves a nice job. Some do without furniture and tend to blow their paychecks down at Lucky's having a pint or two, but at least nobody stays in the dreaded "bin" [shudder]. In my new hood, I'm piling a bunch of binned sims all into the same house and not playing them and they will just act as townies, so doesn't matter how much money they have. I guess that may be my only rule, nobody in the bin.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 8:07 PM
I also use Inge's mortgage shrubs and pay them off as I play, they pay every day the interest and once they can pay one off it gets paid off.

Each 1,000 shrub = 10 interest daily.
Each 10,000 shrub = 100 interest daily.

Inge's mortgage shrubs. http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...2_Mortgages.htm

Inge's site. http://www.simlogical.com/index.htm

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#22 Old 15th Aug 2019 at 9:43 PM
Are Inge's mortgage shrubs flammable?
Scholar
#23 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 8:20 PM
Sims moving house are allowed to take 4 items each. Like Peni, I don't allow cars or beds for ownership tag reasons, but I also don't allow anything I'd have trouble envisaging an adult Sim having trouble moving on their own - so no massive statues or three-tile mirrors either. I also don't allow movement of fridges, even though one Sim might be able to move them on their own (and even though I allow similar-sized wardrobes to be moved). Hey, I just get worried about the state of those leftovers without power as the fridge crosses town. Custom art is exempt from the count, if I think the Sim would in fact take it with them...

All other items remain at the previous house to help the next people moving in.

If, on move-in, the Sims can't afford furniture, I only worry about it if one of the following cannot be obtained:

- a fridge
- a kitchen preparation surface
- a shower/sink
- a toilet (and not if everyone involved has a job or school to go to)
- a phone (if it's a lot where phones would be expected to be important)
- prerequisite survival items for any pets, small children or special lifestates involved in this family

With the exception of the latter, I don't have any CC that is cheaper than the cheapest Maxis option in these categories. So that family spending their last Simoleon on a snazzy house can get caught up in this.

If it's not on that list, it can wait. Otherwise, other measures are necessary.

First, I will check if the family brought any of these items with them. They often have at least some.

Secondly, I will see if their other items lend themselves to a business - and if so, whether this family would actually go through with it. (If they already own a business, I have them work out how to improve it). If so, they can work their way to the new stuff they need.

If that's not an option, then people get jobs or go to a community lot to earn enough to get the necessities of life.

Loans do not get used for this purpose in my game, and are quite rare.

Rentals are forbidden to any Sim that wouldn't have $5000 in their pocket after paying the first week's rent and initial fee. On the other hand, the purchase price is treated as a conditional deposit; Sims get this returned if they move out to their own place and have to spend money to do so. (If they married out, went to prison or something like that, and are the last Sim out of the flat, I assume the deposit was docked in lieu of notice). Said refund is given before buying the house, though, so they still can run into this problem.