Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 4:09 AM
Default Tourist helpful tips and hints and traps
I hope this does not turn out as some kind of a list post. As I would very much like to get some hints and tips on where to visits and what to watch out for while your are travelling all over the world.

Let me start by getting some head up on travelling in Italy. As I will be going there soon, and would like to know more about it before I embark on this exciting trip. And hopefully not fall into any tourist traps, hopefully there are none, and would like to know things like do shops sell things extra expensive to tourist? Do I have to bargain if I want to buy something, or is it rude to bargain because all the prices are honest?

What are the places that tourists often miss out that they should visit when visiting Italy, I mean what are some other interesting places other then the coliseum, the leaning tower, something that is other then the usual must see tourist attraction?

What are the food that I must absolutely try, (cheap one please hahahaha, tight budget here) and where can I go for the best cup of coffee? Do I have to watch out for unsafe drinking water and such?

If you have any other advise please do tell. Many thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 11:03 AM
Dunno much and this might be vague but:

1) Make sure you have cash with you, not all places accept cards. This is probably because using cash is more popular in some countries than others: e.g. Netherlands and Sweden use card transactions more frequently than in Germany or Italy. Also keep it hidden, cos everyone knows a tourist when they spot one and better safe than not.

2) Drink bottled water anyway because you never know how you'll react to the water in the specific area you visit. Wouldn't want to get sick while abroad.

3) Don't go to Starbucks.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 1:41 PM
I think it's important to know where you come from, and how long you plan to stay.

I have been to Rome several times, and I see new things each time. You have to decide on a place you want to stay and don't plan on seeing everything each time.
Alchemist
#4 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 5:47 PM
Avoid getting food/coffee on any plaza near tourist attractions, they most likely charge double. If you have to, get a coffee inside the cafe, since many (if not all) cafes and restaurants charge you for outdoor seating too.

Keep your wallet/purse hidden has been said already.

Ignore the beggars.

Don't buy stuff from a street vendor (Jewelry, electronics, souvenirs..)

That's the basic stuff I've been told by my brother who frequently travels those places (Rome, Athens, Istanbul etc.).

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#5 Old 27th Jul 2019 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
Avoid getting food/coffee on any plaza near tourist attractions, they most likely charge double. If you have to, get a coffee inside the cafe, since many (if not all) cafes and restaurants charge you for outdoor seating too.

Keep your wallet/purse hidden has been said already.

Ignore the beggars.

Don't buy stuff from a street vendor (Jewelry, electronics, souvenirs..)

That's the basic stuff I've been told by my brother who frequently travels those places (Rome, Athens, Istanbul etc.).

When I was in Italy we found an extremely cheap restaurant far off any tourists, the food was amazing, I have to agree with Johnny.
I haven't been to Rome but to Florence. Those beggars will pull on your clothes and slightly scratch (they don't hurt you or break anything), be prepared for it. And really, no matter how annoying, don't give them anything. After you gave something to one, the others will swarm you (haven't experienced it myself, just seen it).
Always look out for locals and try to behave as they do. I tried it in Argentina but my white-as-a-hospital-wall-skin kind of identified me as a tourist anyways...
In case you need to change money: go to official places. Others might be overpriced or they even only try to get you into dark corners to rob you. Not sure if that is a problem in Italy though.
If you fly: always have some clothes to change in your backpack, you never can tell, if the flight might be delayed (personal experience).
Oh, Italiens traditionally don't have a big breakfast as others have. You will get coffee but there might not be a lot of food.