Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 2:41 AM
Default Weird thank you gift?
I have good friend who has did a lot for me in the past two or so years. I used to keep house for her. I went to help her fix her husband's birthday dinner and told her not pay me, that I just wanted to help. She paid me anyway, so I told her I was getting her something else at Pier 1 with part of the money. A month or so ago, I used my employee discount to get her a car mug that looked like her cats, and a small $1 bag of candy.

Anyway, I got her this wall hanging, and want to know if it's a weird and/or dumb gift for me to give another woman? I also got her a smell good thing kinda like potpourri. Don't want to give anyone the wrong idea.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 5:21 PM Last edited by grammapat : 9th Jul 2019 at 1:50 AM.
I think that's all very nice of you, and appropriate.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 5:41 PM
Thanks, gonna drop it off in a little while.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 9:33 PM
You made a great choice.

I'm practically the type to gift you a gift card so the value is worth if you have a choice.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Jul 2019 at 10:55 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Jul 2019 at 11:21 PM.
^ I find gift cards very annoying. It's basically buying a card for the same amount of money you wanted to gift the person (plus a little extra for the actual card, which is basically throwing away money), so they can buy items in one particular store or mall within a time limit.
... Isn't it better to just give them the same amount in money or a non-spesific card they can use anywhere? At least then they could choose where and when to spend the money, or be able to save up for something they really want. Personally, I prefer money over gift cards. Another option is to give money but write a personal gift card like "buy yourself something nice" or "here's a little something for that -item- you're saving up for" or any of the sort, really. That's my personal opinion, anyway. Gift cards have an annoying tendency to reach the expiry date before you can use them, or you may feel forced into buying something you didn't actually want/need because you didn't want to waste the gift card.

It looks like a very nice gift, leo06girl, and she'll probably be happy when she gets it. If she seems offput for some reason, just explain and I'm sure she'll understand

Whether or not a gift is weird depends on how long you've known a person for, the closeness or distance of your relationship, the reason why you're giving the gift to them, occasionally gender or gender preference, but most of all context.

I have a workmate who tend to put very... weird... things for his gift in our advent calendar. You can usually spot his gifts from a mile away, and if you didn't know him you'd probably think he'd gone insane (sometimes I wonder ), but usually it's hilarious because we all know he's got a very strange sense of humor. Those gifts would've been completely inappropriate if he'd gifted them directly to someone, or if he wasn't such a jokester to begin with. So that's where context comes in.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Jul 2019 at 1:29 AM
Actually, gift vouchers, checks or cash are usually what I give because I am not sure about the people I give to.

Mostly, a gift is only worth its value to the person if the person has a genuine interest. The more someone likes a gift, the value increases. Likewise, the gift's value decreases the less someone likes a gift.

During the winter holiday season alone, $20 billion of gifts are wasted in terms of value.

Something I picked up watching the Adam Ruins Everything episode "Adam Ruins Christmas".

It also featured how Frank Capra's "It's A Wonderful Life" fell out of copyright due to its failure and yet, because it was in the public domain, its revival in the 1970s led to the cult classic that is part of the American Christmas traditions in multimedia.

I also found out snowflakes don't form uniquities until they reach a certain altitude and actually start off the same hexagonal shape that allows for the differences to form as they fall.

Of course, Adam and I hosting together...I'll pass on Adam Conover. Any relationship of a professional nature would end the partnership if we split due to clashing egos. I'm about as much as a know-it-all as him (or at least, how he's portrayed)

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)