Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2019 at 5:56 AM
Default Gameplay
Hi everyone! I was really curious about something so I wanted to ask other simmers: is there anyone here who plays their Sims game without recording the game play or without taking screenshots and posting them to the web? It seems to me that everyone is either making sims videos or posing their screenshots all over the place but I was just wondering if there were people who just played the game for themselves without sharing their game play with others.

The reason I'm asking this is because I would like to make a youtube channel of my Sims 3 game play but I'm either too busy and when I'm not busy I'm just tired and don't want to be bothered with it. Plus, when I think of all it takes to edit the game play video(s) and/or screenshots, it tires me out to where I just don't want to play the Sims at all.

I also feel as if I don't share my game play with others I'm doing something wrong and it makes me feel guilty and to be honest, that feeling is preventing me from really enjoying my game.

Does anyone have any advice or anything to say about this? I would love to hear your comments
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd May 2019 at 6:04 AM
Kinda do and don't. I share silly blooper screenshot in particular platform (easier to do so), but other than that not much. I too at some would like to start a let's play, but can't get around doing so.

In your shoes, I would say take time. Stick to your intangible schedule: record a gameplay session and edit bit by bit through out procrastination days until the whole video is complete and ready for upload.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd May 2019 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Kinda do and don't. I share silly blooper screenshot in particular platform (easier to do so), but other than that not much. I too at some would like to start a let's play, but can't get around doing so.

In your shoes, I would say take time. Stick to your intangible schedule: record a gameplay session and edit bit by bit through out procrastination days until the whole video is complete and ready for upload.

Thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd May 2019 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
You don't need to feel guilty. Your game is your own. Everyone seems to play differently. People who post videos and regular screenshots are usually playing for some sort of story, etc... so they're sharing those. I think one person mentioned she's doing a comic. Etc... But not everyone play like that. I myself play mostly as a simulational run and also I like to build. I only share screenshots during some discussions to show certain things relative to the topic or when I upload some lots to share. Only video I've posted were for performance testing. Otherwise, I keep my game mostly to myself.

Thank you for the reply and I guess I feel guilty because I feel as if I'm missing out on something. Well, ok maybe guilty's not the right word for what I'm feeling.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd May 2019 at 6:44 AM
If what you are missing out on seems more like work than playtime, then you aren't missing anything important.

I love helping my fellow players as I can, but my own long-running game is for me alone to enjoy. Occasionally I might share a captioned screenshot or two with friends, but I know the non-simmers among them are just humoring me and my hobby when they express an interest. My sims value their privacy and appreciate not having the intimate details of their lives (or even what they have for breakfast every morning) shared with the entire community. I know this because they told me so while I was sleeping.

Our lead developer at NRaas once wanted a copy of my saved long-running game as we were working together to troubleshoot a new mod feature for others that wasn't at the time passing stress tests and all I could do was cringe at the thought. But then I realized all I had to do was tell him that one single save would weigh in at 2.3 GB and I had four rowdy party animal sims ready for Uni so he had better be prepared to send them, cover the expenses, and return them all with passing grades. I was pretty sure something like "Wait, never mind!" was going to be the response, as it thankfully turned out to be.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2019 at 7:28 AM
My game is for me. I have shared some photos and some photo stories in the past on a site, but that is it. I will never video my game as have no interest in it. I do not watch let's play videos of others as have no interest in them. And I suspect folks would have no interest in anything I would do. I would rather spend time playing than watching someone else play.

The only time I watch someone else play is when LGR does his reviews and he shows us things. Otherwise, I will pass. I have no attachment/investment in other people's sims. I would rather spend time with those I know generation after generation birth to death.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 3rd May 2019 at 2:49 PM
I do a bit of both; I'm currently writing a big-ol comic/story thing so that gets posted, and the occasional funny screen shot to here. I used to draw my stuff and with the carpal tunnel, I can't anymore, so the Sims has become my method of artistic expression. Much like a lot of my art, there's a lot of gameplay that I don't share.

I say if it's not fun or makes you stressed vis a vis the game, don't do it. Don't be like me and spend hours cursing at pixellated people who don't do what you want them to. LOL (or programs, etc.)

I usually post here, FB occasionally and my LJ, that's it. I won't do YT. Too much exposure.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Mad Poster
#9 Old 3rd May 2019 at 2:52 PM
I would look into screenshots more often it it weren't for my wear-down computer that takes quite a while a load and even makes it hassle by being barely responsive in its own file format that it opens images

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2019 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I love taking screenshots in my game. They don't have to tell a story or be pictures of sims. It can be anything I happen to find interesting at any given moment.

All screenshots are not share-worthy, many of them I keep to myself. As for "posting all over the place", the two places I post pics are here on MTS and my simblr; not very exciting I'm afraid. I've never put my game on YT as I have zero interest in doing so. Then there is the fact that I'm making a effort to keep YT out of my life as much as possible with a couple of exceptions.

As for your problem, OP.... people always make time and find energy for things they want to do. If you're already finding reasons not to make videos, then don't do it. All you're going to do is make yourself grumpy and miserable which will come out in your videos, then people will complain about you being grumpy, ect...

You're right I'll go in my game sometimes and just take pictures of the sky. Thank you so much for your comment.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd May 2019 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickenMadam
I do a bit of both; I'm currently writing a big-ol comic/story thing so that gets posted, and the occasional funny screen shot to here. I used to draw my stuff and with the carpal tunnel, I can't anymore, so the Sims has become my method of artistic expression. Much like a lot of my art, there's a lot of gameplay that I don't share.

I say if it's not fun or makes you stressed vis a vis the game, don't do it. Don't be like me and spend hours cursing at pixellated people who don't do what you want them to. LOL (or programs, etc.)

I usually post here, FB occasionally and my LJ, that's it. I won't do YT. Too much exposure.

You're right. Just the thought of it stresses me out plus I'm so shy IRL so I'd have no idea what to say. Thank you so much for replying.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd May 2019 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
My game is for me. I have shared some photos and some photo stories in the past on a site, but that is it. I will never video my game as have no interest in it. I do not watch let's play videos of others as have no interest in them. And I suspect folks would have no interest in anything I would do. I would rather spend time playing than watching someone else play.

The only time I watch someone else play is when LGR does his reviews and he shows us things. Otherwise, I will pass. I have no attachment/investment in other people's sims. I would rather spend time with those I know generation after generation birth to death.

I guess that's my problem: I watch let's play videos so it makes me think 'Hey I wanna try this too!' However, when I think of all the editing I'd have to do (plus to make matters worse I'm a perfectionist) it just drains my want to play the game and I don't want that. I want to go back to when I first started the Sims 3. OMG I was hooked!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd May 2019 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
If what you are missing out on seems more like work than playtime, then you aren't missing anything important.

I love helping my fellow players as I can, but my own long-running game is for me alone to enjoy. Occasionally I might share a captioned screenshot or two with friends, but I know the non-simmers among them are just humoring me and my hobby when they express an interest. My sims value their privacy and appreciate not having the intimate details of their lives (or even what they have for breakfast every morning) shared with the entire community. I know this because they told me so while I was sleeping.

Our lead developer at NRaas once wanted a copy of my saved long-running game as we were working together to troubleshoot a new mod feature for others that wasn't at the time passing stress tests and all I could do was cringe at the thought. But then I realized all I had to do was tell him that one single save would weigh in at 2.3 GB and I had four rowdy party animal sims ready for Uni so he had better be prepared to send them, cover the expenses, and return them all with passing grades. I was pretty sure something like "Wait, never mind!" was going to be the response, as it thankfully turned out to be.

Thank you so much for this And your game sounds so interesting.
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd May 2019 at 5:55 PM
I share my game with a friend, in that I take pictures, add comments to them using paint.net and then upload the pictures to mediafire. They're not made public though.

If the idea of editing videos for youtube doesn't appeal but you did want to share your game, there's always Twitch? Have people watch your gameplay and chat while you play but no editing involved as it's live.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd May 2019 at 6:40 PM
All this screenshot taking and video recording leaves me no time to play the game. I did a bit of that in 2017, a bunch in 2015 and also quite a lot in 2014. When I'm utterly, totally bored of doing these things and I've got a savegame that runs reasonably well, I do sometimes get a bit of casual gameplay in, be it 15 minutes or an hour. But overall I'd say 99% of my time in-game is spent in CAS, Build/Buy or recording stuff. All of which still qualifies as playing the game in some capacity, of course.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th May 2019 at 8:07 AM
I love to take screenshots. I pause the game over and over to take them. I have taken tens of thousands of photos. I love to do that. But as said, these are my sims in my game that I care about. Will I ever go back and look at most of them? No. But there are times when I have wanted to see a particular thing and so it has been fun to have them. If I wanted to see a pic of Georgina racing around China in her red sports car I could find it.

If the idea of making videos and/or posting photos is a chore, do not do it. We should be playing this game for fun. To relieve stress. Not add more to our lives.
Theorist
#17 Old 4th May 2019 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OlsenTwinsDiCaprioFan001
I also feel as if I don't share my game play with others I'm doing something wrong and it makes me feel guilty and to be honest, that feeling is preventing me from really enjoying my game.

I laughed really hard when I read that. Sorry, I know that sounds mean. I doubt interpol will be searching for you any time soon. But seriously, don't worry about it, Ts3 is a solitary pursuit anyway.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 4th May 2019 at 4:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I love to take screenshots. I pause the game over and over to take them. I have taken tens of thousands of photos. I love to do that. But as said, these are my sims in my game that I care about. Will I ever go back and look at most of them? No. But there are times when I have wanted to see a particular thing and so it has been fun to have them. If I wanted to see a pic of Georgina racing around China in her red sports car I could find it.

If the idea of making videos and/or posting photos is a chore, do not do it. We should be playing this game for fun. To relieve stress. Not add more to our lives.

Thank you for replying. And that makes sense. I remember when the Sims would make me so happy. I mean it still does but not like it used to. Maybe because it was all new back then?
Test Subject
#19 Old 10th May 2019 at 2:33 AM
I play for myself, for I don't know how many years lol. But seeing so many people share their lets plays, builds and sims has made me want to do it too...because whenever I saw those things I wondered how I would have done it, what my sims could have done... and I had never edited anything until very recently. In fact I could say that I've always hated movies and tv shows. I left a course on film making because I found it so boring back then. But for some reason I got really inspired recently, and tried my hand at it. Its really hard and I still need to work harder, but it was so satisfying seeing the end result. I don't know. I recently got back into drawing too. I had stopped so long ago. Whats really keeping me from doing more of these things is my humanity lol... never thought I'd get so much back, hand and eye pain haha
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th May 2019 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OlsenTwinsDiCaprioFan001
Thank you for replying. And that makes sense. I remember when the Sims would make me so happy. I mean it still does but not like it used to. Maybe because it was all new back then?

Probably happens like a writer's block: you ran out of ideas to do and can't think of any new initiatives. I just wanna load up either TS2 or TS3, but for the fuck of me can't think what should I play. I generally like testing game mechanics and discover new things.