Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 9:02 PM
Default SpeedTree plants
ok. I scoured MTS forums on this information to see if anyone has cracked the "code" on the TS3 SpeedTree plants to convert them to TS4. Many have tried and unfortunately hit a wall. Some have been able to do a work around on recoloring the plants, but they had to stay in TS3 and some were overrides.

I have been researching all over the internet to find everything I could on this subject. This is what I found:

The following software will open the .spt files and save them as .spm, .fbx, and/or .obj if they are 2011 versions; however, they need plugins to EXPORT the file to another format of which way back then it was difficult to get those plugins.
IDV SpeedTree CAD
Autodesk 3ds MAX 2011 with built in plug for SpeedTree MAX
Autodesk Maya 2011 with built in plug for SpeedTree MAYA

They are all obsolete now. Speedtree still has the updates and fixers as well as Autodesk have their own updates and fixers for that year on their software.
You can always get a crackhouse version, but you risk the chance of getting a major virus.
Another alternative is to know someone who is in that industry and still has the old version(s). Highly unlikely that they would, but hey you never know if someone is a hoarder on software.

Well, folks here are the steps in dealing with getting .spt files into blender.
1. finding the software that will open .spt and save as/export as .spm, .fbx, and/or .obj
2. if software saves as or exports into .spm you then need an newer version of the above mentioned software to open it and then save as or export as .obj for blender
3. if the software does a save as or exports as .obj....you are good to go with blender and don't need another software

well, you did need two software to handle getting the file into blender. the older versions of any software that will open the .spt file will only save as a .spm file. I found the software and have tried it time and time again....IT FRACKING WORKS! no freaking joke peeps.
I have installed autodesk 3ds max 2016 student version which handles the .spm files and will be exporting the .spm files to .obj

Please reply to this post and let me know which outdoor plants from TS3 you would like to have for TS4. The following is what I am willing to do if MTS does not mind.
1. convert the wanted plants from TS3 to an .obj file format to be imported into blender/milkshape
2. upload individual plants with their images and have a link go straight to dropbox where you can download that individual file.
3. you will be expected to then import the file into blender yourself and deal with the recoloring and possible retexturing. There might even be a few issues with the mesh or anything else. I am NOT responsible for this. Things get lost in translation of moving a file(s) around like this...it is to be expected...beggars can not be choosers.

So, I hope this helps those of you who are wanting the outdoor trees of TS3 into TS4. Thank you and have a great day! -----goldilockssims
You are welcome by the way.
p.s. if this is not the proper place for this thread, moderator go ahead and move it.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 4th Dec 2018 at 3:38 PM
okay. update on the plants. I have been able to get all plants and trees from TS3 game and the packs that I have into the .spm file format. This is a good step because now I should be able to use a newer version of speedtree to get the files changed over to the proper format for blender/milkshape. I am dealing with speedtree themself on this issue. I might have to do a subscription. If that is the case, I won't be able to follow up on this until the first of next month. I can not share the file of the program i used to get the .spt format into .spm because it is owned by someone at my church. We are very frustrated with speedtree right now because even his newer version would not accept the .spm files...we tried all 200 of them. This is a very frustrating and tedious process. i promise this is not a hoax or a scam. I just want you guys to be able to use all or some of these trees and plants in game to enhance it and for your builds. I will keep updating as I know more. Thank you for your patience.
--goldilockssims
p.s. If there is anyone who wants to try this on their own with .spm files, let me know on here either on this post or you can send me a private message. I am sure two heads are better than one. May be we can work together to get this going. I will work on getting those files put into dropbox later today.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Dec 2018 at 4:56 PM
ok. now speedtree is saying that EA used speedtree pre-made from their librayr plants and trees to put into the sims 3 game for them to use; therefore, they are not going to allow us to use their software to convert TS3 plants/trees into TS4. I am having to remind them that that is not the case and explaining the conversion process to them. I have repeated over and over again that EA created the items NOT speedtree and they didn't purchase the meshes from speedtree....they just used the software to create the items for the game. This is like blender or milkshape saying you created these items in our software; therefore, the items are ours and we won't allow you to use the items in another game. it is getting ridiculous.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Dec 2018 at 5:38 PM
Here is the conversation between myself and speedtree on facebook using the fb messenger:

I am so sorry guys. Please spread the word. Jeeze, and to think i spent all that time converting those files over to the .spm format....ugh! Well, bright side my computer will be lighter without those files.