Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 7:12 PM
Default folders are not there any longer
I got a new computer that has D:/Data for loading games, C: is now where the HP computer keeps all the operating system files and is the smaller drive. I downloaded Origin and Sims3 with EP and SP packs and no longer get the folders I used to under C:/Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims3. I get The Sims3/_installer; Caches; Ep01 - Ep11; Game; GameData; Sp01 - Sp08; Support; and last folder is Thumbnails. I have tried to create a Mods folder under the root directory and with no luck. I am not sure were to keep the sims3 package file there is no Download folder. I have unintalled and re-installed multiple times. I need help I even contacted Origin and EA and both of them where no help at all.
I cannot play my Sims without my Mods and packaged files. Has anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it? I have the same issue with Sims4.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 11:03 PM Last edited by igazor : 18th Jan 2018 at 3:09 AM.
The way this works for most players with dual drives where C is too small to carry much beyond the operating system and system related software is to:

-- Create a new folder on D (call it "Programs on D" or whatever you like) and install Origin and the game/EPs there. Chances are the OS won't let you install directly on the root level of D, there has to be a sub-folder first.
-- Arrange a redirect on the operating system level so that your user Documents folder, still considered the formal "Documents" or My Documents" library, is actually on D and not C.
http://www.dummies.com/computers/op...s-in-windows-10
(Sorry about the "Dummies" link, but this one explains it rather well. There are other such sets of instructions all over the web.)

You don't get an actual user TS3, I assume it's the same for TS4, game folder in Documents until you have launched the game for the first time.

Then after such a folder is actually in place and it works, you can arrange your Mods Framework for TS3. Package files do not belong in a game folder called Downloads at all, that's strictly for sims3packs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 6:38 PM
Thank you for your suggestions I did try it but it didn't work. The folders I was coping didn't have the exe files in them. So it would not launch. I moved the Sims3Launcher to the "moved" folders.The trouble I am having is that when I install Sims3 from Origin it does not give me the "normal" folders. Origin makes a folder called "Program Files (x86)" then installed Sims3 in a folder called "Origin Games" which I changed the drive from C to D. Which should not make a difference. When installing Sims3 is where it get wonky. I get the following tree:
D:/Data/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3
D:/Data/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3/_installer
D:/Data/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3/Caches
D:/Data/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3/Game
D:/Data/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3/GameData
D:/Data/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3/Support
D:/Data/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 3/Thumbnails

This is with no SP or EP installed. I have tried under each folder to add Mods and no luck also I have tired to add the Sims3packs with no luck. the game does not recognize them.
Again thanks for taking time to answer my questions.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 6:50 PM Last edited by igazor : 18th Jan 2018 at 8:02 PM.
Leaving aside C vs D for the moment, there are two pieces to the game.

The program file installations live in Program Files (x86) or wherever we have directed them to be installed at the time of installation. You can't just move or copy them around in Windows Explorer and expect them to still function. In fact, we aren't supposed to manipulate or add things to the program file installations at all (with some very few exceptions for world fixes and more unusual things like that). And the program files do not belong in Documents.

The user game folder shows up in the user Documents folder the first time the game is successfully launched. This is where the saved games are, the user added content like store purchases installed through the Launcher, custom and store worlds, saved sims, and mods go. The user game folder is the one we and the Launcher are supposed to interact with, not the program folders. And again, you don't even get a user game folder until the first time the game is launched.

The procedure to add mods somewhere to the program files is from before Patch 1.12, a very long time ago (pre-2010). That's not the way to do it anymore.
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files

What you may need to do is uninstall everything related to TS3, use a third party program like the free version of Piriform's CCleaner to clean up the Windows registry, and start over with an install on D and a redirect of the Documents folder if you haven't already done that. And then, launch the game if you can to get a user game folder in Documents.