Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 6:57 PM
Default Unused space in houses
Hey guys, this is kind of a random question/discussion. I attached a screenshot of a house I'm building. You can see that I've filled up the unused space with walls. In a normal house these are closets, but since I'm building a world and have to make lots of houses, I was trying to cut down on the need to decorate a closet. I know I've seen this done somewhere else, but I can't find it online, not really sure what to search for. I was just curious what you guys think of this? Does it bother people? In other houses I just used the hidden room buydebug object, but I know that if someone wants to edit the house then because of that item they have to use some cheats to make the lot editable. Let me know what you guys think and post some links if you know of anyone else using this technique. Thanks!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 7:06 PM
The walls are extra objects that drag on the computer since they all create new rooms (that I think get lighting and routing calculated individually), IMO.

I just use black paint and flooring + a weather .ini that changes the wall cutoff tops from grey to black. Presto!

(That being said, I would love it if TS4's closets were converted for TS3 with functionality attached as well)
Test Subject
#3 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 7:07 PM
Doesn't bother me at all. I believe the most simple solutions are the best. In fact the first time I downloaded Barcelona and moved my sim into one of the townhouses for some reason it took me quite a while to realize how huge the lot actually was and that my sim's apartment was just a tiny part of it. I believe the author simply used plain black textures for walls and floors.
Alchemist
#4 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 8:20 PM
There are some walk-in closet sets around, but you don't need to decorate them too much. If I really wanted those spaces to resemble closets, I'd put a bookcase, a plant/statue, a floor mirror + lamp, a tall dresser, or a short dresser + mirror combo in them. Otherwise I just use black walls and floors (no zig-zagging walls), like everyone already suggested.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
dodgy builder
#5 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 9:43 PM
I don't like that at all. I would just use the amount of time needed to decorate houses. If it's wic you're going for, a dresser is quite sufficient. On the other hand, not using a room for it and just decorate a dresser corner of a room is far more appealing in my opinion.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 4:54 AM
I always just adapt house plans so that I don't end up with spaces like that. oh this room would have a closet right there in real life? well now it's just four tiles bigger (or however many tiles that closet would take up). like that room on the right of the pic where there's that 1x6 tile strip you've filled in? I'd just delete all those walls and make the room one tile wider. or if it's in a room other than a bedroom I might make it the place where I put the washer and dryer.

also, for anyone who wants them, sandy over at aroundthesims converted the sims 4 get together closets. they're based on the supernatural wardrobes though so I assume you need sn for them to work. there's also some closet clutter around there too I think. I swear I remember seeing it but I can't find it at the moment.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Aug 2017 at 4:56 AM
I would have to remove them if I went into those lots. They will hurt performance, look odd IMO, and very few houses in worlds are actually seen depending on how people play. When I do worlds many of the houses I do are just for show to fill up the world. Many have minimal furnishings and some have none. I don't spend time working on lots that may never be used. Folks can fill in as wanted. I concentrate on the community lots and just do some houses as fully decorated, or mostly done. IMO, nuke the closets.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 5:25 AM
thanks guys!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
The walls are extra objects that drag on the computer since they all create new rooms (that I think get lighting and routing calculated individually), IMO.

I just use black paint and flooring + a weather .ini that changes the wall cutoff tops from grey to black. Presto!

@tizerist:

FYI the package with the settings to control the wall top colours. Just drop it into your Packages folder, or the Overrides folder if you're already using a weather mod.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Black Wall Tops.zip (396 Bytes, 10 downloads) - View custom content
Theorist
#11 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 3:37 PM
Thanks dude

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?