Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 11:22 PM Last edited by David Poston : 20th Jun 2017 at 11:53 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game keeps crashing when it snows
The game keeps crashing on me whenever it snows. This isn't normally a problem as I've had it snow fine on other and bigger lots, it seems to be one.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 12:08 AM
Normally crashing in snow would be overstraining the computer. If it's only the one lot, though, it's time to look at the lot. Anything particularly high poly on it? Any CC that other lots don't have? This may sound silly, but what if you change the outerwear of all the sims who live on it? I had a blouse once that crashed the game any time the wearer used the photobooth for taking pictures. Remember, the program is under no obligation to make sense!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Normally crashing in snow would be overstraining the computer. If it's only the one lot, though, it's time to look at the lot. Anything particularly high poly on it? Any CC that other lots don't have? This may sound silly, but what if you change the outerwear of all the sims who live on it? I had a blouse once that crashed the game any time the wearer used the photobooth for taking pictures. Remember, the program is under no obligation to make sense!

Well since I've been playing i haven't had the PC shut down for two days... I went to s couple other lots where it crashed as well. Should I restart the PC perhaps?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 1:12 AM
It may be overheating. Turn it off when you're not playing. You have, I trust, slept and eaten in those two days? The computer needs a rest too!

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 1:28 AM Last edited by David Poston : 21st Jun 2017 at 1:50 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
It may be overheating. Turn it off when you're not playing. You have, I trust, slept and eaten in those two days? The computer needs a rest too!
. Haha yes of course I have. I've kept it in sleep. The reason why is the first startup of the game always takes long to load after a shutdown. I tell you what how about I give turning it off a try and report back ? I probably won't get to it til tomorrow if that's OK.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 3:27 AM
Hey, it's your machine. Troubleshoot on your own schedule.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 12:08 PM
Could be you've got trees, flowers or bushes, or recolors of said shrubbery that aren't Season compatible. When the game tries to put snow on them, it finds an error, and crashes.

I've had trees and bushes that caused errors because of this, but I can't remember if the game crashed.

If it's not Seasons-incompatible shrubbery, it's probably a tired computer, as said above. Snow is one of the things that strain graphic cards the most in Sims 2, and it doesn't have to be on a huge lot with loads of high-poly items.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 10:15 PM
Do I tried restarting and is still crashes, especially when I try to go to neighborhood. I even tried snow on ground off and still crashes! This is driving me insane, I clearly can't play with snow and I'm not about to go through my downloads to narrow down a culprit as I have literally hundreds if not thousands of stuff. The one problem is though sometimes it'll snow on its own and the last thing I want is an unexpected crash. Is there a way, or mod or something I csm do so it won't snow in the winter?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 10:25 PM
Change your seasons so it's never winter.

If you go about the CC hunt systematically it won't take nearly as long as you think. For one thing, the first step of the 50/50 reduces the search to only half of your CC, the second gets it down to a quarter, etc. For another, when you take downloads out, the game takes practically no time to load, so the testing phase will take progressively less time as you get closer to the answer.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 10:30 PM
Also how much cc is on the lot, all types of things can add up to strain for your computer.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Also how much cc is on the lot, all types of things can add up to strain for your computer.

I actually would like to keep winter just to keep realism however I have this seasons and weather controller from simswardrobe so I guess every time it starts to snow I could stop it. I don't understand cause I play Sims 3, and it snows and works just fine and that's high settings. If it can take a more intensive open worldgame just fine, you'd think it'd be OK here too..
Alchemist
#12 Old 21st Jun 2017 at 10:44 PM
from my understanding, the Seasons expansion has a setting for snow in the options panel. changing that setting might reduce chances of crashing.
lowering graphics settings might also reduce chances of crashing.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 1:06 AM
I've got the mod from SimWardrobe plus an old one that looks like the aspiration weather machine. My game tends to throw a big mess of pink-flashing at me whenever I use weather, so I turn it off unless I reeeeeally need it. There's also this one if you don't want any weather: http://www.modthesims.info/d/452412 - I've currently got this one, only taking it out if I need weather for something. This way I don't have to remember setting up the weather control.
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 2:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I've got the mod from SimWardrobe plus an old one that looks like the aspiration weather machine. My game tends to throw a big mess of pink-flashing at me whenever I use weather, so I turn it off unless I reeeeeally need it. There's also this one if you don't want any weather: http://www.modthesims.info/d/452412 - I've currently got this one, only taking it out if I need weather for something. This way I don't have to remember setting up the weather control.

So with mod, I could use it to prevent snow in the winter, and during the other seasons, remove it?
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 2:27 AM
You could. Just keep in mind you'll have no weather, so that's no rain, snow or hail. It's easy to forget that temperatures will still go up and down, and if that bothers you, there's a separate mod for preventing that: http://www.modthesims.info/d/452260
Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by David Poston
I actually would like to keep winter just to keep realism however I have this seasons and weather controller from simswardrobe so I guess every time it starts to snow I could stop it. I don't understand cause I play Sims 3, and it snows and works just fine and that's high settings. If it can take a more intensive open worldgame just fine, you'd think it'd be OK here too..

Remember that Sims 2 was designed with different graphic systems in mind than Sims 3 was. It's not just about raw power, but about design. Sims 3 operates the way your computer expects a graphics-heavy program to run and takes advantage of features that weren't even on the drawing board when Sims 2 was programmed. Sims 2 can run on many modern graphic systems fine; but it's not unusual for Sims 2 to have problems on machines that can run Sims 3, due to design incompatibility and Sims 2's inability to use things like quad core processors to their maximum effect.

Think of it this way - an 18-wheeler truck takes a lot of power to run; but you can't expect it to perform properly if you feed it jet fuel instead of diesel, which it was designed to use. At the very least you'll have to fiddle with the engine.

Another thing to bear in mind is, that if your computer has been routinely overexerting itself to meet the graphic demands made on it by your sims games, it's been damaging itself in the process, becoming less and less able to overexert itself enough. Naturally the problem would first manifest in the program not designed to work with it; but in time, as wear and tear accumulate, the effects will be felt in other programs until it finally stops working altogether. You wouldn't say "It worked fine yesterday" of an old frayed rope that snapped when you tried to lift a box with it, would you?

Now, I don't know anything about your specs, but if the problem is the graphics being too much for the machine and not bad CC, then dialing back on the graphic demands will prolong the life of your computer, but the damage has already started and will not reverse itself. It's time to prepare for the eventual death of the computer with frequent back-ups of important data to external sources (you'll feel really dumb if the computer dies and all your school or business work is lost while your game backups are safe) , research on what you'll want in the next one, and planning how to afford it.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#17 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 10:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by David Poston
Do I tried restarting and is still crashes, especially when I try to go to neighborhood. I even tried snow on ground off and still crashes! This is driving me insane, I clearly can't play with snow and I'm not about to go through my downloads to narrow down a culprit as I have literally hundreds if not thousands of stuff. The one problem is though sometimes it'll snow on its own and the last thing I want is an unexpected crash. Is there a way, or mod or something I csm do so it won't snow in the winter?

Bolding added by me - this is something I see people say all the time and I don't get it. If someone is having trouble with their game and isn't willing to do what's needed to narrow down what's causing the problem, then what's the sense in anyone trying to help them out? To be honest, I feel that someone having trouble with their game should do everything they can - removing downloads and starting a fresh game, 50/50 method, etc., etc. - to find the problem before they even post asking for help.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 10:37 AM
^True, that.
The 50/50 method has helped me out, and at the time I had around 35 GB of stuffeths to go through (not sure how many files, but probably somewhere over 100.000). So whenever people say they can't bother going through a few thousand files to find a bad one, then they're (in my opinion) just lazy. It's the first thing we're going to suggest they try, so they can get to the actual help much faster if they just do it before asking. If it turns out to be a CC problem, they'll most likely find the problem on their own.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 10:43 AM
All of us have had to do 50/50 searches, I have done such a search 3 times on 52 thousand files. When something annoys you enough you do it. It's not actually as bad as it sounds, because your game loads quicker the further into it you go. However weather crashing the lot is a known thing, use to happen to me on my older fuller CC game especially large apartments+snow+idiotic sims going cold outside from other apartments. It wasn't any particular piece of CC just that all of it together was too much for my PC. Doing 50/50 searches on too much CC won't reap you anything but frustration.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#20 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 11:36 AM
For me, weather for a long enough amount of time causes either the pink-flashing problem (from memory dumping), or memory crashes, which why I use weather sparingly. I have had the Seasons-incompatible plants problem, but I removed the items and didn't see the problem after. My game is most of the time set to perma-spring with no weather or temperatures, which takes care of most pink-flashing, frozen sims, sunburns, spontaneous combustions and other weather-related issues.
Inventor
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Jun 2017 at 7:28 PM
All right I guess then my solution is that I will downoal the no weather and use it for the winter months. I don't know what the issue is, I don't think it's that the game can't handle it or graphic decay as earlier today I played a lot I made awhile ago that was a castle with a good number of cc where it was snowing just fine on that lot and that particular neighborhood. I thank everyone who chipped in to help out.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 8:11 AM
It is probably cc - in my experience. Sometimes it can be something unexpected like a kitchen counter. I have started to add cc one thing at a time, and if there is a crash or any other problems, out it goes, regardless of how much I may like it.
I would, however, look if there are any conflicting mods as well if I were you.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
It is probably cc - in my experience. Sometimes it can be something unexpected like a kitchen counter. I have started to add cc one thing at a time, and if there is a crash or any other problems, out it goes, regardless of how much I may like it.
I would, however, look if there are any conflicting mods as well if I were you.

There is a Mod that will just eliminate Snow by HarrisonFordFanClub you can find it on MTS http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=527127

I use it because I just don't like snow, not for any other reason.

Checking one's CC is a good idea and doing a 50/50 check is not that time consuming and it will find the problem if it is not a matter of too much CC.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.